Filling gaps in the exposed eaves

Ben100

Hi all,

I'm looking for recommendations on the best way to fill gaps in my exposed eaves and soffits. There are gaps of around 3-10mm around each rafter where is meets to soffits under the roof. This is letting in a draft and could also be a space for bugs to get in.

I was thinking of using expanding foam in some of the larger gaps then mastic over the top with some external flexible mastic. I can then paint over the top. Does this sound ok or is there a better way?

Cheers!

Does the roof need to be ventilated? Are the walls masonry? Sand and cement pointing would be cheapest, foam easiest but difficult to do neatly , indeed likely to make a mess. Linseed oil and sand pointing would be flexible and a range of gun applied sealants are simple too, foam is not UV stable nor insect proof. 

my choice might be clear silicone or caulk to match colour of rafter feet 

2 minutes ago, tonyshouse said:

Does the roof need to be ventilated? Are the walls masonry? Sand and cement pointing would be cheapest, foam easiest but difficult to do neatly , indeed likely to make a mess. Linseed oil and sand pointing would be flexible and a range of gun applied sealants are simple too, foam is not UV stable nor insect proof. 

my choice might be clear silicone or caulk to match colour of rafter feet 

The construction is all timber, so can't use sand and cement. No need for ventilation as the loft space is warm and has a vapor barrier.

Good point on foam not being UV stable or insect proof. I may go for silicone and paint over then.

Thanks!