Gate intercom systems

vk2003

I have a sliding gate. - the mechanism for this has been very good since it was installed 5years ago. What has let me down however is the gate control system. 

we currently have an AES intercom system, which is now only partially functioning; the intercom no longer works, and the external keypad on the gate pillar has become unreliable for opening the gate - we sometimes have to type the code in a dozen times to get it to open. Fortunately the fobs are all working. 

i have spoken to a couple of companies regarding replacing the aes system. One has said that they stopped using that brand because of this unreliability, and had recommended a system made by Telguard as the most reliable

the other has suggested an intercom system made by BPT. 

both work via gsm. 

has anyone got any experience or knowledge regarding reliability of these intercom systems? I’m keen to not have to spend £££ every few years getting the system replaced...

Edited by vk2003

Videx for me, then BPT. Never heard of Telguard...! And I would watch for anything that is GSM based as a lot will only work on 3G SIM cards and they can be difficult to get hold of. Have you not already got wiring in place ..?

Telguard replaced our intercom system on our automated gates approx 3 yrs ago. Never had a problem, works every time. We pay a few pounds each month either £3 or £5 (can't rememer exactly). We can control our gates from anywhere as long as we have a signal on our phone.

Thanks  folks. There is no wiring between the gate and the house. The AES system we have at the moment is wireless and useless ☹️

The funny thing is that I can’t find any details about the features of the bpt unit on their website, although the homepage carries a picture of the unit!

appreciate the tip About checking that the unit is 4g compatible. I shall have to look into videx...