Made to Measure wardrobes

Dave Jones

2 hours ago, Dave Jones said:

Not freestanding, built in type. Anyone have a good source where can supply ready made or in kit to fit on site ?

Ones I found are horrendously expensive.

I just did this in four of the bedrooms 

Didnt brake the bank

E5E2C0B7-612C-41CE-B34B-EA7B8C06865E.jpeg

0C297B90-AAF8-481E-A1D9-C249B3FCFF35.jpeg

• Like 1

True @newhome. Mine basically complies might have a few extra shelves in than allowed. I think you're unlikely to get pulled by the vat man unless you have a big claim for extravagant wardrobes like that bespoke bloke near me does. In reality a few extra bits of cls, some extra plasterboard and some shelving is going to get swallowed up in the whole house vat claim pretty easily. 

On social media there’s quite a few examples whereby folk have used the freestanding modular IKEA Pax range but by using decor panels spare doors etc have built them in to recesses, to ceiling etc.    In same way as you would with kitchen units.   Far cheaper than the likes of Sharps.

other option perhaps to look at like of DIY kitchens using tall larder units.  Plenty of choice and style that wouldn’t look like kitchen units.  

5 hours ago, Bozza said:

On social media there’s quite a few examples whereby folk have used the freestanding modular IKEA Pax range but by using decor panels spare doors etc have built them in to recesses, to ceiling etc.    In same way as you would with kitchen units.   Far cheaper than the likes of Sharps.

other option perhaps to look at like of DIY kitchens using tall larder units.  Plenty of choice and style that wouldn’t look like kitchen units.  

Exactly what we did.

3m of pax in a row in each bedroom and the joiner framed them in MDF pained same colour as wall and they look built in. He said he could not have done it any cheaper in MDF, even allowing for VAT.

Ikea have some nice lacquered finish doors now as well as the plain white. We've also added a few mirrored doors to the kids room and our dressing room for full height effect.

1 hour ago, Dave Jones said:

get the merchant to put them down as slabs on the paperwork, job done.

I just put in 'framing timber' and 'ironmongery' for all the bits & bobs we used to build the hall cupboards. No issues.

Is there another way to go other than diywardrobes.co.uk and similar.

I used diyhomefit and bought units which we then made up and installed, but they cost hundreds per unit.

In a lot of developer showhomes I see something like this -

Do they just buy furniture board and cut to size then build it on site, especially if you didn't need the drawers?

image.png.4b02f9a3759e3bd70138a38a33d66d61.png

image.thumb.png.3faada7819992f980d88e0c5e56e43b4.png

Edited by AliG

I have bought the sliding door wardrobes.  They doors are made to measure.  They run on a bottom rail.  There is a ceiling track which is fairly deep and keeps the top of the doors in place.  They can have soft close each end.  They often come with a rail or shelf kit.

This kind of thing https://www.slidewardrobesdirect.co.uk

in my searching for the same i found a place that will cut the boards ready to go together. They have loads of board finishes as well.

https://www.cutwrights.com/new/Home/ChooseYourBoards?searchText=Walnut

https://www.jmfdoors.co.uk/

also found software then you design your units and it will export a cut list to send to the above

https://wooddesigner.org/store/

I'll be using it on our next one for sure.

Edited by Dave Jones
  • Like 1