Holiday Let To Full Residential

minskin

Hi all,

We are in the very early stages of exploring the possibility of purchasing a property. It is currently the only holiday let on what was originally a farm that has been developed into a retail/restaurant/farm shop type of complex. It's only any good to us if we can get permission to live in it full time but before we even go and look at it or speak to planners, we'd like to be a bit more informed.

We've looked on the council planning website but cannot find any reference to the property at all so we're wondering if it was built under permitted development rights. If that's the case, does that permitted development exist only if it remains part of the current property.... meaning the building would have no planning permission at all if separated and sold... or would/could it move with it?

Also, am I correct in my understanding that a property doesn't have specific planning permission as a holiday let, rather it has residential permission but with conditions, those being that it can only be occupied max 28 days a year by the same person?

I hope I've phrased those questions well enough to make sense ?

Thank you, Minskin

Edited by minskin

You probably need to talk to the Council or a local planning consultant on the local policies.

Imo the latter if you need information before talking to the Council.

Or perhaps  fire the question at the Estate Agent, as the sellers should know.

F

• Like 1

If it’s a holiday let on a farm then it will be ancilliary to the main property. It is unlikely to get full PP to split off as a residential property and if you are planning on doing that then I would only offer subject to planning being granted as a separate dwelling. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

If it’s a holiday let on a farm then it will be ancilliary to the main property. It is unlikely to get full PP to split off as a residential property and if you are planning on doing that then I would only offer subject to planning being granted as a separate dwelling. 

Yes absolutely, that's what we plan to do if we think it has legs. We intend to speak to planning on Monday and may submit a pre planning app depending on how they respond. We're not optimistic tbh but... well, if you don't ask you don't get! 

Thanks, Minskin

I did finally find some planning info so we now have some background info on this property (It was listed under a different ptoperty name belonging to the same farm) although there are no docs on this La's website so it's scant.. 

It was originally built as additional retail space adjacent to the existing farm/retail complex in 2015. In 2019 planning was saught and received to change its use from retail to a holiday let. It's on green belt land. 

Minskin

5 hours ago, Cresswelle said:

Even if it was permitted development it would have required building regs so have a search for that instead of planning permission. 

I do not think that Building Regs documents are a public document, unlike Planning Docs.  So I don't think they will tell a Third Party.

Though some info may be there via searching the appropriate data layer on the Council's  map information interface.

Also something may be available through the Valuation Office Register online wrt Business Rates or Council Tax.

It may also be worth a look-see under the new Change of Use Regulations with their extended PD Business to Residential changes, which are currently strung up in the courts.

Ferdinand

• Like 1

8 hours ago, minskin said:

It was originally built as additional retail space adjacent to the existing farm/retail complex in 2015. In 2019 planning was saught and received to change its use from retail to a holiday let. It's on green belt land. 

Got to wonder why they didn't get pp in 2019 to change it to an separate dwelling?  That ight make it more valuable and it could still be let out. My guess is they were advised they wouldn't get it. 

Beware. If you do manage to get planning permission while under offer  whats to stop them pulling out of the deal and selling it to a third party at a higher price? To prevent that you could talk to your solicitor about an option to purchase contract but that might cost as much as you could loose if they bail.

• Like 1

Hi everyone, 

Thank you all for your invaluable advice and suggestions. We viewed the property yesterday and have decided it's not for us so we'll move on with our search. 

We've learnt some things in the process though so it wasn't a wasted excersize. 

Thanks again, Minskin