Project management template for renovation

Hello, I have a renovation I'm in the early stages of. It's going to be a long project on limited funds. I've never done this before but have a family friend who is a retired builder offering advice (phew!). However, I can already see that if I don't keep a very careful track of expenditure, dates when things are booked in, dates when I have to have finished a job I'm doing myself etc that things will run away with me. I'm also calling in favours from some people I know in trades and will need to be flexible when they can help me. 

As a result I am on the hunt for a template to use to manage the project. Does anyone have any recommendations? I've searched the forums but not found any - apologies if I'm not using the correct search phrases.

2 hours ago, Lets said:

... It's going to be a long project on limited funds. I've never done this before but ..  .. As a result I am on the hunt for a template...

There are templates (the RIBA has one) but they're used on large projects.

I spent weeks trying to answer the same question myself about four years ago. Maybe there are one or two now, but they're not in widespread use I think.

You are in excellent company here. We've almost all been through this mill, damaged by it, pissed off by it, bitten by it, call it what you will. After 5 years at it, I'm so punch drunk I just about manage to look daily at the bottom line (whats left in the bank) .

Sometimes I can only manage it weekly, sometimes I wince and avoid looking. The other day SWMBO - a super-careful administrator with a gimlet eye for uncomfortable levels of detail said

' Just book him whenever , we'll afford it somehow.'

Could have knocked me flat. Building gets you like that . I think there are probably one or two BH members who have been able to do what they like, when they like here. Its the norm to be scared legless by the money issue. 

• Like 1

Here is one from a couple builds ago, you get it free if you use estimators-online to QS your plans. I highly recommend you do so you have a realistic idea of costs. They are couple hundred quid and gives you ball park trade pricing so you have a starting point to haggle.

They break the build down to the amount of nails needed.

gantt351812.pdf

• 2 weeks later...