Boxing In A Boiler

Onoff

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Just putting it out there as I'm trying to get my head round where I am with it all.

Oil is turned off as I'm pretty low on it and baulking at the prices for filling the tank at the moment. Living in two room heated by electric heaters. The study retains heat OK and is the warmest room in the house. 

The oil boiler is currently sat in the otherwise unheated utility. 4" block ling outer wall with a couple of large, single glazed windows, one DG window and a double glazed door. Seems mad to be pumping heat into that space where we're not living.

The orange circle on the plan below is the position of the HW cylinder, that sits in the insulated loft space under the  pictured, SW facing hip.

2022-02-24_03-06-13.jpg.222df6a7216a839eabbabe2d63de3531.jpg

SWMBO has a hankering for a pantry and we've discussed bringing the kitchen forward into what is currently covered external space where the hot tub is at the mo. Plan inside was to build a stud wall where the blue lines are, parallel to the "stairs" wall.

A thought here to, instead of a pantry, make a mini plant room. Move the existing HW cylinder there (red blob) plus any solar tank. That along with a UFH manifold.

I suppose the first thing would be to move the kitchen "out" to line up with the lounge wall and end up with a functional "mini" kitchen whilst I gut/dig down the original.

A slight bug in this plan is the kitchen floor is 100mm higher than the nominal floor level in the rest of the house. It all needs digging up and reinstating with a good chunk of insulation underneath and UFH.

?

The losses here must be incredible. Sitting in the lounge with the 2kW fan heater on AND the 2kW oil filled rad. Still bloody freezing! Slowly getting warm.

20220313_154935.jpg.d558aadd0f7471474350d89ccceec24f.jpg

Just putting it out there as I'm trying to get my head round where I am with it all.

The oil boiler is currently sat in the otherwise unheated utility. 4" block ling outer wall with a couple of large, single glazed windows, one DG window and a double glazed door. Seems mad to be pumping heat into that space where we're not living.

The orange circle is the position of the HW cylinder that sits in the insulated loft space under the  pictured, SW facing hip.

SWMBO has a hankering for a pantry and we've discussed bringing he kitchen forward into what is currently covered external space where the hot tub is at the mo. Plan was to build a stud wall where the blue lines are.

A thought here to, instead of a pantry make a mini plant room. Move the HW cylinder there plus any solar tank. That along with a UFH manifold.

I suppose the first thing would be to move the kitchen "out" to line up with the lounge wall and end up with a functional "mini" kitchen whilst I gut/dig down the original.

A slight bug in this plan is the kitchen floor is 100mm higher than the nominal floor level in the rest of the house. It all needs digging up and reinstating with a good chunk of insulation underneath and UFH.

?

The losses here must be incredible. Sitting in the lounge with the 2kW fan heater on AND the 2kW oil filled rad. Still bloody freezing! Slowly getting warm.

20220313_154935.jpg.d558aadd0f7471474350d89ccceec24f.jpg

• Haha 1