Trees when to remove ?

Buzz

Advice and opinions please , in my outline planning 3 trees have been approved to be cut down and removed to create access to the plot,  my architect has advised not to touch them until detailed planning has been passed ,the builders i am in contact with say they would remove as soon as possible.  

I am struggling to see what difference it would make to wait as they have to come down to get access, they sit next to a 2m deep ditch which also has planning to be filled to create a 4m wide drive across it. If I cut them down and make access before detailed planning what's the problem ??

Edited by Buzz

Irrespective of planning constrains, TPOs, national park, SSSI, AONB etc, you should only fell trees from October to end of Feb to avoid bird nesting season. We are in a conservation area and planning was taking an age, so a quick online form and call to the local tree officer secured us permission to fell our five trees whilst our full application was processed.

Edited by Conor

The ditch is 2m deep and 4m wide and runs the full length of the plot most of the trees are on "my"side of the ditch and we don't want to keep any of them , we have been advised to apply to cut them down but again can't understand why I need to ask permission? 

If you have permission on the outline planning, surely it's ok? 

We are in a Conservation Area and gaps were shown where the new entrance and parking would be, so although it didn't expressly say 'trees to be removed' there was no other way it could happen. They were scrappy trees and no TPOs. We just got on with it. 

The last time I had a proper tree surgeon he was very keen to call the council before cutting anything to satisfy himself there was no problem, as he didn't want to be liable. 

Are the neighbours ok about the planning application? 

24 minutes ago, Jilly said:

If you have permission on the outline planning, surely it's ok? 

We are in a Conservation Area and gaps were shown where the new entrance and parking would be, so although it didn't expressly say 'trees to be removed' there was no other way it could happen. They were scrappy trees and no TPOs. We just got on with it. 

The last time I had a proper tree surgeon he was very keen to call the council before cutting anything to satisfy himself there was no problem, as he didn't want to be liable. 

Are the neighbours ok about the planning application? 

The neighbours sold me the land with outline planning  talking to them at the weekend about many different things very happy to assist us even using their access to get plant on site until we have our own access sorted . 

32 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Get the trees cut down now but I’d be careful doing the access. You wouldn’t want to trigger a CIL start before you’ve done the appropriate paperwork, could be costly.

The plot is cil exempt ? 

Do you mean your area doesn't charge the CIL (yet) or that you are expecting to claim the self builder exemption. Make sure you follow process to the letter if the latter. 

Notwithstanding, if the neighbour knows about the trees and is the only person who might complain, then you are in a good place. You are going to need an entrance quite early. Maybe clarify with the council/highways if you can do this part? 

Not all councils have introduced the CIL charge yet, so if they haven't mentioned it you should be ok. I made mine put it in writing due to the scare stories on here about missing the deadline for claiming, as I wanted to make 100% certain I didn't owe it. 

Edited by Jilly

I'm with the rest - get it done asap.

There should imo be fewer potential issues at Outline than at Detailed. At Detailed events arrive like "when did work start", which I don't think can arise at Outline. If you had started work it would be a Retrospective application not a Detailed application aiui.

Ferdinand

3 hours ago, Jilly said:

But to claim VAT back wouldn't you have to have 'started' officially, and all the above hassle? I just used a local farmer, so no VAT anyway.

No I mean if it was a contractor who was VAT registered, the work would be zero rated eg 20% cheaper. But yes ultimately a cash to a farmer will be cheaper probably.  Still sell your timber though if you can !

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all , just a quick update on the above , had a 3 company's round to give me a quote .

One didn't like the look of the size of the 3 big ones but was happy to do the smaller ones (I could do those myself , I think !)  One started quoting so much a meter up and round i think he wanted to go to disney when we can fly again and wanted me to pay for it , and the local chap starts on the 4th, drop trees and chain into log size and then me to clear up . What could possibly go wrong ? 

On 03/11/2020 at 20:04, Conor said:

Irrespective of planning constrains, TPOs, national park, SSSI, AONB etc, you should only fell trees from October to end of Feb to avoid bird nesting season. We are in a conservation area and planning was taking an age, so a quick online form and call to the local tree officer secured us permission to fell our five trees whilst our full application was processed.

Not exactly true, you can remove a tree at any time, as long as you have carried out the relevant risk assessment to ascertain if there are nesting birds.

If you are in the right sort of area, an add on face book will have the locals coming to collect the timber. 

If i fell a tree around here and leave it in handy sized pieces it’s gone in a couple of days. 

We have even tipped loads onto a bit of common land with a free sign on it and it all disappears in a day or two.