Tiles under door opening

Stones

42 minutes ago, jack said:

Absolute power corrupts absolutely. :ph34r:

No. Power is delightful so absolute power is absolutely delightful.

Copyright LJK Setright.

THat double capital ( <<--- example) is Apple's fault. The very occasional lack of correction is my laziness.

F

• Like 1

Yes, let's get back on topic...

8 hours ago, ProDave said:

Sorry to say, I think your builders "messed up" here.

Our Rationel doors have basically an aluminium theshold bottom plate. As delivered, there is a wooden piece then fixed to the bottom of the door.  Our builders removed the supplied wooden piece and then packed up the door after discussing with us the floor make up and finished floor height. The reason for removing the supplied wooden piece was to allow tiles or floor boards to slide under the aluminium threshold.

It sounds like your builders didn't discuss this with you? Did they leave the supplied wooden piece still there, or remove it and sit the aluminium threshold straight on the slab?

Could you argue it's "their" mistake, and therefore their solution, including any making good to the render etc if they move the whole door and frame up?

It's a useful illustration of my builder not being an approved installer (this and another house he built at the same time were the first time he had used Rationel windows) and how things like this can be missed if assumptions are made.  IIRC your builder is an approved installer? I can't say it crossed my mind, and clearly not the builders or joiners when we installed, as previously every other door I have fitted (and the builder has fitted) has had a higher threshold meaning this issue didn't come up.

The aluminium threshold is straight on the slab.  Yes I could argue  it's their mistake, but TBH I really don't want to go down the route of moving the door up.  Given comments about how challenging it would be to grind down the slab, and having discussed with the builder (who said he would do it if I wanted) I'm going to go with the most straightforward solution of a mat well.  We should be able to frame the well on all sides with tile (albeit it will only be a small sliver of visible tile in the door reveal) and finish the edges with a metal trim.

It's a compromise, for my wife at least, although I can't say I'm that upset about it, and my thinking is very much in line with @Nickfromwales in how to handle this. 

I had originally planned for mat wells but was overruled by a higher power...

Guest Alphonsox

So exactly how do you go about cutting a mat well in a concrete floor ? The tilers are due in a week or so, I may just have time to cut one.

I don't think my builders were "approved" by rationell, it's just that they thought to ask about the floor make up, and what the finished floor level would be, and set the doors to that level.

If you want to spend a night in the spare room, suggest a sheet of linoleum glued down in the entrance hall will solve all the issues.  :ph34r:You can get some that is made to look like tiles.

1 hour ago, Alphonsox said:

So exactly how do you go about cutting a mat well in a concrete floor ? The tilers are due in a week or so, I may just have time to cut one.

Diamond disk in a Stihl saw and cut a rectangle the size you want. Then do parallel lines across the cut out area an inch apart and a couple of inches deep (assuming you don't have UFH..??)

One or two cross cuts then use a cold chisel straight into the cuts to snap the pieces out. 

Will leave a rough surface but half a bag of leveling compo and you will think it was meant to be there. 

Guest Alphonsox
4 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Diamond disk in a Stihl saw and cut a rectangle the size you want. Then do parallel lines across the cut out area an inch apart and a couple of inches deep (assuming you don't have UFH..??)

One or two cross cuts then use a cold chisel straight into the cuts to snap the pieces out. 

Will leave a rough surface but half a bag of leveling compo and you will think it was meant to be there. 

Thanks - may have to give this a go when the boss isn't looking. I guess a wall chasing saw would have much the same effect.

Guest Alphonsox
Just now, Declan52 said:

Use a wall chaser and you will get it done in half the time. Can also set the depth for a more accurate cut.

Thought so - and I can get my hands on a chaser with no problems.

2 hours ago, Alphonsox said:

Thought so - and I can get my hands on a chaser with no problems.

I've a couple you could borrow if you're Kent/London. Tbh I find a garden sprayer the best thing when cutting into a floor.....and a huge extractor.