Cladding details

We were vertical board on board, so slightly different. But in essence, the same detail as noted above - mesh trapped behind the vertical battens and stapled to sheathing, form a U then bring it round onto the front of the horizontal batten. Because we had board on board there were odd gaps to fill. We used 200mm mesh, I got it off ebay from some seller called something like mesh direct.

@trialuser, the only way I know about (and what we ended up doing) was using an intumescent barrier for the horizontal firestop.

• Like 1

I will be going for the U shape for the insect/rodent mesh too at the bottom of the cladding.  I am drawing the details to put in a building control submission now (mainly to show position of fire breaks etc).

I will be doing something like this for the soffit and cladding ventilation:

https://www.flyscreen.com/media/pdf/Mesh for Soffit Ventilation and Cladding - V22.pdf

I too have found that only an intumescent barrier will work for the horizontal fire stop if ventilation is normally required.

19 hours ago, jamieled said:

We were vertical board on board, so slightly different. But in essence, the same detail as noted above - mesh trapped behind the vertical battens and stapled to sheathing, form a U then bring it round onto the front of the horizontal batten. Because we had board on board there were odd gaps to fill. We used 200mm mesh, I got it off ebay from some seller called something like mesh direct.

@trialuser, the only way I know about (and what we ended up doing) was using an intumescent barrier for the horizontal firestop.

@jamieled and @dnb, thanks very much re the intumescent fire stop. Can either of you suggest a product or supplier. I have done some googling but everything I have found is going to be very expensive, perhaps that's just the way it is. I will be having tin cladding to the first floor and vertical cedar or siberian larch to the ground floor. cavity will be 25mm + 25mm ground floor. and 25mm +45mm first floor. the tin overlaps the wood slightly. Thanks

I used Envirograph. There's limited choice and it was pretty expensive. If I'm being honest it's one thing I overlooked when planning and so not a cost I budgeted for but it's needed.

I can't remember the exact name or gap that it fills but they do a few different products depending on the application. I reduced the gap slightly by adding an extra horizontal wooden batten as it worked out cheaper doing that than buying an intumescent product to fill a wider gap.