No experience need cheaper heat options

Ricardo64

Building 30m2 garden office / gym

Slab is down with no insulation yet, Ive got maximum 100mm for insulation and flooring etc.

Ive no idea about heat pumps  and if I get one maybe offset cost if it might do heating for house too. About 85m2

No idea what parts are or what to buy.

OK with general plumbing etc.

And budget limited to about 2k  the new build will need to be kept warm 24/7.

Last resort is to get a small boiler and ufh etc

New build will have roof, walls and floor

insulated. About 12m2 double glazing.

2/3 is gym and 1/3 office space.

I am also disabled so looking to not add much extra work..

If I had more cash would have gone for ground source heat pump etc.

Are the 2 rooms in the garden room completely separate?

I would be tempted to fit one of the cheap air conditioner units that can be bought for not a lot over £500. They are a small air to air heat pump that can do heating and cooling.  I believe you can for not much more buy them with two inside fan units so one for each room.

I would keep garden room and house heating separate.

Whoa there fella!! Ground source for a garden room is a little OTT ;) 

Change of £500 Link

Change of £900 Link

So +1 to @ProDave.

Don't fit any screed, just put EPS 100 down and finish it 44mm short of your floor covering. Then lay 2 layers of 22mm P5 T&G boards on top of the insulation and that's you done and dusted :) I use that method for garage conversions mostly, and with excellent results. Don't forget the DPM! 

• Like 1

FYI, @Ricardo64, you do not have enough floor insulation to even think about UFH ;) You'd need about 140mm minimum of slab insulation ( on top of the slab you have now ) to get an efficient system. That is said with your comment about heating this 24/7, as energy efficiency will be of paramount importance here. You can use the wifi options on the air con units to "set back" the temps overnight, eg when unoccupied you can set it to a minimum of say 17oC and then set it to 20.5oC for occupancy. I REALLY hope you are putting a large timber section in the roof ( at least 150mm ) so you can stuff it full of rockwool insulation, and the walls need to be minimum 120mm, rockwool again, and then ( ideally ) an insulated plasterboard used throughout internally to keep the heat requirement down?

£2k is a bloody tight budget to do the whole thing??

You can just fit the air con units ( heating AND cooling with those btw ) in a poorly insulated building if you simply do not have the budget, and they will work. You'll just have to pay the increased electricity bills for not having insulated sufficiently. The air con unit should heat for the equivalent cost of burning gas, if installed in the correct circumstances. 

19 minutes ago, joe90 said:

fuel (electricity) you keep on buying and it’s price will not go down

electricity prices are pretty stable, and now that the government has committed to supply all housing with RE (and nuclear probably), and with the cheapest form of new generation being wind and solar.  I can see prices dropping in real terms.

We can generate from wind and solar cheaper than gas now.