ASHP RHI timing out in Mar 2021

LSB

3 hours ago, LSB said:

we are planning on ASHP and PV, do you think we need to also consider a back up boiler.  We are off grid here so it will have to be oil or biomass or possibly LPG

If you are going for RHI I don’t think you can have a back up boiler? I was told that my existing boiler would need to be replaced if I went for an ASHP and wanted RHI. 

3 hours ago, LSB said:

do you think we need to also consider a back up boiler

Ours is only there in the current house because solar PV and solar thermal as the only energy source wouldn't cover the needs of an old fairly draughty house in terms of heating in the winter.  For the house we're building which will be very well insulated with MVHR we'll only need an ASHP for both heating and DHW.  We'll still use a PV divert into the DHW tank I think, so as not to waste the generated energy.

Simon

You can't have any other means of heating your house except something that is room specific like a wood burner. Even though in a low energy house a single wood burner will heat the house and more likely over heat a house you are allowed one.

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

How are you going to power your electrically driven ASHP?

we will have mains power, but hope to get the majority from the PV.

The RHI stops in March 21, too soon for me, so that won't affect my decision.

My planning requires ASHP, but it also approves a boiler, I guess the LPA don't know anything about what is and isn't allowed.

At the moment I live in a cold, draughty house so I can't imagine being so warm that I don't need backup.

1 hour ago, Declan52 said:

You can't have any other means of heating your house except something that is room specific like a wood burner. Even though in a low energy house a single wood burner will heat the house and more likely over heat a house you are allowed one.

Our design has 2 stoves, one in the family room and one in the snug, which will be a small one as it is not a huge room.

I may even go for an artificial one if we won't need the heat.

The family room is 65m2 so I will definitely have one there.

Your backup will be immersions in the tank and potentially in the UFH buffer assuming you are having one. Sounds like your wood burners will also help with heat only, and if you want belt and braces then fit a single electric shower somewhere. All will rely on electricity though (as would a backup boiler) 

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/10/2020 at 11:29, SteamyTea said:

You can make it even cheaper to self install if you use a vented DHW system, none of that G3 nonsense.  And the kit is cheaper as well, which annoys plumbers as they cannot add on such a large mark up.

https://www.gledhill.net/master-pressure-get-g3-qualified/

I went with a Telford heat pump cylinder but kept the DHW vented, it’s worked well for 40 years and continues to do so. Several pumped showers already installed so just makes things easier.

But either way, a cylinder with a large surface area coil is needed to enable the heat pump to do its job efficiently.

On 03/11/2020 at 15:18, LSB said:

e will have mains power, but hope to get the majority from the PV.

The RHI stops in March 21, too soon for me, so that won't affect my decision.

I can’t find reference to this date online, and had thought it was open until 2022.

Can you point me to your source please?

56 minutes ago, Omnibuswoman said:

I can’t find reference to this date online, and had thought it was open until 2022.

Can you point me to your source please?

I got it from the Homebuilding & Renovating Magazine, sounds like it has been extended since they went to print.

3 hours ago, LSB said:

got it from the Homebuilding & Renovating Magazine, sounds like it has been extended since they went to print.

thanks. I’ve had a quick look at the rules and I will need to put in a preliminary application by March 2021, but have until March 2022 to get it installed, which is great!

1 hour ago, Omnibuswoman said:

thanks. I’ve had a quick look at the rules and I will need to put in a preliminary application by March 2021, but have until March 2022 to get it installed, which is great!

that sounds good.

Do note though some of the earlier comments in this thread that once the RHI for solar stopped the price reduced hugely.

So, unless your timing works out it may not be a problem.

We are DIY builders and haven't started yet, so won't be getting ours for a couple of years, so I'm going to have to hope the price will reduce.

• Like 1