ASHP RHI timing out in Mar 2021

LSB

I want to use an ASHP, but I've just read today that the RHI stops at the end of March next year and I won't be ready for it by then.

Can I go ahead and order one and still get the incentive?

Otherwise, I think it's back to an oil boiler (no gas)as not cost effective without RHI

Anyone else hit this.

Just now, LSB said:

I want to use an ASHP, but I've just read today that the RHI stops at the end of March next year and I won't be ready for it by then.

Otherwise, I think it's back to an oil boiler (no gas)as not cost effective without RHI

Anyone else hit this.

You can create  and save an application for upto 3 months before submitting. So you might get round it that way. probably depends if they accept the commissioning date . They were quite helpful when I rang them for advice though. 

• Thanks 1

You can self install an ASHP. By the time you’ve added up boiler, oil tank etc you will be borderline the same price as a mid range ASHP before installation. RHI just inflates the install costs as others have said. I’ve seen £3500 ASHP listed as £7995 “installed” and it’s a 2 day job - or £2000/day to the installer !! 

2 hours ago, PeterW said:

You can self install an ASHP. By the time you’ve added up boiler, oil tank etc you will be borderline the same price as a mid range ASHP before installation. RHI just inflates the install costs as others have said. I’ve seen £3500 ASHP listed as £7995 “installed” and it’s a 2 day job - or £2000/day to the installer !! 

that's interesting, I didn't realise you could self install.

27 minutes ago, LSB said:

that's interesting, I didn't realise you could self install.

You can make it even cheaper to self install if you use a vented DHW system, none of that G3 nonsense.  And the kit is cheaper as well, which annoys plumbers as they cannot add on such a large mark up.

https://www.gledhill.net/master-pressure-get-g3-qualified/

Edited by SteamyTea

as the wall which we planned to put the ASHP on won't be built by Mar can we build a small wall and the boundary and attach the ASHP to that, without connecting to the house.

In NI when they closed the rhi scheme you had to have it installed and commissioned and the paperwork into them by the shut of date. Some installers where working round the clock to beat the deadline. 

Just phone them up and ask what will they accept.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

They will probably come and arrest you for attempting an RHI fraud.  The NIs and Spanish are the world leaders at this.

I have someone doing a quote for me, I will ask them first.

It is commissioning date and you also need an as built EPC to claim RHI. 

TBH once the schemes close it will be like solar panels when FIT was 42p and the system cost £12k. Same systems installed these days can be change of £5k. Any of the “green” initiatives will go this way and you will find prices falling early next year. 

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

It is commissioning date and you also need an as built EPC to claim RHI. 

TBH once the schemes close it will be like solar panels when FIT was 42p and the system cost £12k. Same systems installed these days can be change of £5k. Any of the “green” initiatives will go this way and you will find prices falling early next year. 

right, well that's really good news and worth knowing as realistically, as we are DIYer's, we won't need it until 22 so sounds like I'm best to wait.

Thanks

4 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

You can make it even cheaper to self install if you use a vented DHW system, none of that G3 nonsense.  And the kit is cheaper as well, which annoys plumbers as they cannot add on such a large mark up.

https://www.gledhill.net/master-pressure-get-g3-qualified/

Don’t forget the big plastic storage tank that you’ll need in the attic to give you any kind of “reasonable” hot water pressure. Then the grief of getting mixer taps / showers etc that can deal with mixed ( unbalanced ) hot and cold supplies........

Then adding noisy pumps and complex plumbing arrangements to suit if you want a nice powerful shower....... C’mon grandad, it’s almost 2021!! :) 
?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nickfromwales said:

Don’t forget the big plastic storage tank that you’ll need in the attic to give you any kind of “reasonable” hot water pressure. Then the grief of getting mixer taps / showers etc that can deal with mixed ( unbalanced ) hot and cold supplies........

Then adding noisy pumps and complex plumbing arrangements to suit if you want a nice powerful shower....... C’mon grandad, it’s almost 2021

Yes, I do remember fitting a pump (still working) and a mixer tap (gives no problems), to my existing system over a decade ago.

Oh and when I had to change my 32 year old cylinder, it was £220 (from your helpful mate) and I got quite a few quid back on the old one.

KISS, it is the only way.

1 hour ago, SteamyTea said:

Yes, I do remember fitting a pump (still working) and a mixer tap (gives no problems), to my existing system over a decade ago.

Oh and when I had to change my 32 year old cylinder, it was £220 (from your helpful mate) and I got quite a few quid back on the old one.

KISS, it is the only way.

I’ll learn you good, just you wait and see ?

22 hours ago, LSB said:

Anyone else hit this.

We would but I read here -> https://www.edie.net/news/11/Government-planning-to-replace-RHI-with-Clean-Heat-Grant/  that in the budget it was extended to 2022.

If not, then we'll have and ASHP in a field!!!

EDIT: Here's the official notice -> https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/future-support-for-low-carbon-heat    PHEW!!

Simon

Edited by Bramco
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bramco said:

We would but I read here -> https://www.edie.net/news/11/Government-planning-to-replace-RHI-with-Clean-Heat-Grant/  that in the budget it was extended to 2022.

If not, then we'll have and ASHP in a field!!!

EDIT: Here's the official notice -> https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/future-support-for-low-carbon-heat    PHEW!!

Simon

and yet, it was this months HomeBuilding & Renovating Magazine that said Mar 2021.

I would have expected better from an 'expert' 

4 hours ago, PeterW said:

If you don't want the G3 hassle then you go the thermal store way to get mains pressure hot water but an ASHP will not get a thermal store hot enough.

I genuinely do not under stand why they will not get 'hot enough', because of the type of cylinder/store.

17 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

you need sufficient overhead to cover this... 

That is just sizing correctly isn't it.

My cylinder is 200lt, heated to about 40°C.

If I did the same with a 50lt cylinder, I would run out of hot water while filling a bath.

Just sizing really, not temperature as such.