VCL in stud wall locations?

LA3222

Pondering future problems and I'm currently dwelling on the installation of the VCL. I am currently adding 70mm of PIR to all external faces and the VCL will follow, however what I'm wondering is what do people do where a stud wall abuts an external wall? Stop the VCL there and tape/seal it to the stud? I'm thinking this leaves lots of moisture paths through the TF. So do I need to 'seal' across the studs somehow? That will be a right pita!!

TIA

Jamie

I would just continue the VCL around the whole exterior wall, and put the partition walls on top of that. My partitions met up with a stud in the TF so I just screwed through in to that. There's plenty of space in the top and bottom rails of the partition to fire in as many fixings as you want, anyway.

17 minutes ago, Crofter said:

I would just continue the VCL around the whole exterior wall, and put the partition walls on top of that. My partitions met up with a stud in the TF so I just screwed through in to that. There's plenty of space in the top and bottom rails of the partition to fire in as many fixings as you want, anyway.

Having reread my post the terms I have used might be confusing. When I say adding 70mm of PIR to external walls, what I mean is internally. So I am working inside the house and beefing up the insulation by adding an internal layer. The house is all up and pretty much finished externally, internals are my issue now. Soo, all the stud walls are up inside so what is the best way to skin the cat when installing a VCL. I can't run an uninterrupted VCL due to the studs, I have a sinking feeling I'm going to have to lap over/around them somehow which will take some time!!!

Are you concerned around moisture or airtightness?

If you have that 70mm PIR then VCL on external wall. You can then batten and plasterboard the external wall first then the stud after plastering its going to be pretty air tight and I would think any moisture there would be negligible. Also the VCL isn't required on SIPS if I remeber correctly? 

Sealing around that stud will defo be a PITA and maybe wasted effort as it'll never be perfect? 

19 hours ago, SuperJohnG said:

Are you concerned around moisture or airtightness?

If you have that 70mm PIR then VCL on external wall. You can then batten and plasterboard the external wall first then the stud after plastering its going to be pretty air tight and I would think any moisture there would be negligible. Also the VCL isn't required on SIPS if I remeber correctly? 

Sealing around that stud will defo be a PITA and maybe wasted effort as it'll never be perfect? 

As you say, technically a VCL is not required with SIP but I'd rather put one in now while I can rather than worst case regretting it later on in life. Im belt and braces as much as possible, the missus has just finished taping and sealing every panel to panel, panel to floor join etc to get air tightness as good as it can be. Once the 70mm insulation is installed I intend to tape all joins so it acts as a vcl, and then put an actual vcl in. Maybe overkill, but its easy to do now rather than later. The bit that has me thinking is where the stud walls abut the external walls like in the pic:

20201029_080140.jpg

Not that I've done it (I'm generally waiting for you to tell me how it should be done, as we.are about the only ones building SIPS here). 

But maybe just tape that join. Then tape the VCL again on top?..its going to be mega mega aitrtight.  But I don't know where the diminishing returns start. 

Loving the Halloween decorations 

Kids want to decorate it, bit rubbish for young ens with covid!

I have the obligatory tony tray in place around the joists so I intend to tape the vcl to this and to the floors. As you say, where it meets a stud wall that has osb racking I will tape it to that, on the other side I will run it into the stud and tape to the other side of the osb and around any noggins. A fiddly pita but belts and braces. 

That will leave the only moisture pathway as the edge of the 9mm osb as far as I can see?‍♂️

As far as diminishing returns, I get what you mean, what I'm doing won't be for everyone. At the minute these additional bits haven't interfered with the flow of things as the missus has dealt with them whilst I've been busy on other stuff such as soakaway and foul drains.

Outside stuff is done for this year now, more to do next summer but they are cosmetic jobs rather than critical ones. Its all hands to the pump inside now. 

Edited by LA3222
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1