Cold water manifold, how big is toooo big

Russell griffiths

14 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Hepworth for HRC needs to be temperature capped so a TMV is required in every instance. I’ve been using the same TMV that goes on the SA units as they’re decent reliable units. I set those to 50oC nominal and happy days. 
The question of how much of an arse your BCO is, whether or not they make you drop the bath to 46oC as “god intended” ( some BCO’s think they’re ‘up there’ for sure, and some are just massive bell-ends ). ??. Best to check before assuming that 50oC everywhere is acceptable. 

Can you not just set the TMV to 46 for sign off, then turn it up afterwards. 

• Like 1

I have another question about using manifolds. does using them preclude the need for a hot return circuit or can you use an HRC with a manifold setup? and if the later, is it recommended to use the HRC with the manifold setup or not?

1 hour ago, Thorfun said:

I have another question about using manifolds. does using them preclude the need for a hot return circuit or can you use an HRC with a manifold setup? and if the later, is it recommended to use the HRC with the manifold setup or not?

I asked this question long ago as I was confused, mine are going in this week, 3 manifolds in total 

cold

hot

hot return. 

The hot  return is for the hots that have a distance to travel 

the kitchen and one bathroom are right next to the plant room so just a normal hot feed to them. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I asked this question long ago as I was confused, mine are going in this week, 3 manifolds in total 

cold

hot

hot return. 

The hot  return is for the hots that have a distance to travel 

the kitchen and one bathroom are right next to the plant room so just a normal hot feed to them. 

Don't suppose you've drawn a schematic that we can have a nosy at? Everyone loves a good drawing to plagarise??

• Like 2

10 hours ago, LA3222 said:

Don't suppose you've drawn a schematic that we can have a nosy at? Everyone loves a good drawing to plagarise??

Nope. ??

Its all in the plumbers head, I just do as he says, as he gets all grumpy when I ask too many questions. 

Edited by Russell griffiths

• 1 month later...

Does this approach make any sense?

- 4-port manifold in plant room (one port for each bathroom/kitchen)

- 3-port manifold in each bathroom for WC/basin/shower.

Seems it would use less pipe than using a single central manifold for all outlets, and still give you the isolation benefits.  For any bathrooms not close to the plant room, you can then implement a return loop from satellite manifold couldn't you?

If you want wanted to limit flow rates (to comply with building regs), without buying special 9l/min showers, where would the best place be to do this if using satellite manifolds?

3 hours ago, Dan F said:

Does this approach make any sense?

- 4-port manifold in plant room (one port for each bathroom/kitchen)

- 3-port manifold in each bathroom for WC/basin/shower.

Seems it would use less pipe than using a single central manifold for all outlets, and still give you the isolation benefits.  For any bathrooms not close to the plant room, you can then implement a return loop from satellite manifold couldn't you?

If you want wanted to limit flow rates (to comply with building regs), without buying special 9l/min showers, where would the best place be to do this if using satellite manifolds?

Pipe is cheap, I’ve just done the entire house 4 bathrooms, kitchen and utility room with 400m of pipe, about £500. 

Single pipe to every cold, hot return loop to hots. 

Took two days to run it all and another two to tidy it lag the hots and clip it all up. 

Your way if you flush the the toilet and then go to clean your teeth you are robbing the basin cold until the toilet has re filled. 

1 hour ago, Russell griffiths said:

Your way if you flush the the toilet and then go to clean your teeth you are robbing the basin cold until the toilet has re filled.

Not in pipes/manifold are sized correctly surely.  Assume that muitlple satellite manifolds plumbed direct is still better than a loop?  (e.g. for using two showers at the same time)

1 hour ago, Dan F said:

Not in pipes/manifold are sized correctly surely.  Assume that muitlple satellite manifolds plumbed direct is still better than a loop?  (e.g. for using two showers at the same time)

One manifold per outlet, eg do NOT stream manifold to manifold if they have isolations as you’ll start to eat into flow rates.

A single centralised hot manifold with the HRC to that only is quite economical, and a hot manifold means even long hot runs have to be very long before needing a dedicated HRC.