Shortage of bottled gas

recoveringbuilder

Rings on our range cooker use propane gas and of course they ran out last night, local petrol station had none of the size we use and they won’t give you anything other than the size of bottle you’re exchanging so off I went this morning to the main calor dealer in our area, luckily I got one of the only two bottles they had, she told me that there is a shortage, they just can’t get it and they aren’t allowed to sell you a bottle without an empty ( normally charge a fortune if you have no empty but not even doing that now)they can’t get butane at all ! She said to me if I had another empty I would be as well taking the other propane they had left but since a bottle lasts me around a year I took the risk that a year down the line things will be back to normal?! On the other hand heating oil prices are so low that the suppliers are phoning their customers to see if they can take some, my brother told me this and he’d had a delivery last week at 26p a litre!

Same here - can't find a 47kg propane refill anywhere- had to switch the caravan to a bottle of patio gas!!! One of the petrol stations I called in to had virtually no bottles of anything. I can get 34kg propane but have to cough up £20 for the deposit on the bottle. The main NI Calor depot is about two miles from me... can't even get in through the gates or get them on the phone!!!

21 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Are supplies usually low this time if year? Heating season is starting after all.

Or is it BREXIT/COVID stockpiling, either by customers or suppliers?

Has the price gone up dramatically?

Never had a problem with gas before, the woman said they just can’t get it, she said we put in an order but they only send out what they can, usually I don’t need it until December but it’s run out early this year .Prices are just the same though 

Edited by recoveringbuilder

I ordered a 47Kg online about two weeks ago and it was delivered a few days later. There were warning on the website about a shortage of smaller cylinders in the south east but no issue with 47Kg that I could see. I think mine came from Calor in Peterborough  but the actual office is closed - thats why I was ordering online.

Think this is where I ordered from..

https://www.gottle.co.uk/

I think they are agents for Calor which is why it ended up coming from my nearest Calor depot.

Note the banner heading..

SOUTH EASTERN ENGLAND - ALERT - ONLY 47kg & 19kg are available in your area to order due to stock issues. Postcodes affected by South Eastern issue.

Edited by Temp

By the way I've recently switched my system over to using 1.5m versions of these "no tools required" hoses. Much easier than trying to wrestle inside the cabinet with a left handed spanner ?

hand-tighten-propane-gas-pigtail.thumb.jpg.35d39b345c4bdfb9c21153c9b9292641.jpg