New door- planning question!

Marie

Hi All, 

I live in a detached house with 1.5 meter walk ways on either side of the property, a fixed fence in-between boundaries and around about 2.5 meter gap between neighbors property. 

We have an internal garage and we are looking to convert the back half into a utility room/ office with access to the sidewalk/ garden from a new door which will be located on the side of our property. The door will have obscure glass in it and we are adding a canopy over the door to prevent us looking up towards their window on the second floor.

Am I right in assuming I do not need planning permission to insert this door? the neighboring property has no windows on the ground floor but does has a small window with obscure glass on the second floor. I have read everything I can online and it looks like this would fall under permitted development and we would just need to consult building regs. 

Can anyone give us some advice? 

Thanks 

It’s not the principle elevation and assuming you’re not in a conservation area then no, you don’t need planning permission. 

Building regs will be needed for the garage conversion so just add the door to that and do as one single application. 

Thank you for your reply, No we are not in a conservation area. Its a new build estate, another question I have is do I need permission from the developer to change the house? its freehold land and we purchased the house over 2.5 years ago. 

9 minutes ago, Marie said:

Thank you for your reply, No we are not in a conservation area. Its a new build estate, another question I have is do I need permission from the developer to change the house? its freehold land and we purchased the house over 2.5 years ago. 

That will depend on the developer and whether they have any covenants or clauses in the sale documents.