ipad air issue.

zoothorn

I wonder if anyone can shed some light. My ipad air, recently given to me, is behaving really slowly.. youtube docs almost ground to a halt: 10 seconds play, then buffering for 1min/ repeatedly.

My laptop behaves fine, with same doco playing for eg, exact same juncture. Full bars of signal on this, going between 2 out of 3, and full 3/3 of signal on ipad.

So I'm well & truly stumped. Thanks, zoot schmooter.

Edited by zoothorn

3 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

Sounds like the problem is on the iPad.

Restart, or Soft Reset or Reset (in that order) it to factory settings. Here are the detailed instructions

Uninstall as many programs as you can before doing the deep (factory) level Reset. 

Hi TBC. Im fairly sure it had a deep reset prior to it given to me, the hubby used to work for IBM/ a proper boffin (I'll defo ask if I cant give it a go beforehand, IE ask on a forum 1st) who I think refreshed it all for me.

Still worth doing? I was trying 1st (as I like to do) understand why it could be doing this, then trying a fix idea.

49 minutes ago, ToughButterCup said:

If the data (not programs) on the iPad is iportant to you, then transfer that first - I suggest to a cloud-based account so you can download it later. 

Then deep (sometimes called Hard, or Factory) reset. 

What is 'data' exactly, or an eg?

Have you got 101 apps open? Close them all down (properly not just minimise them) and only have 1 open at a time to narrow down which app is slow. 

What app are you using to browse the internet ? Have you cleared the cache. 

3 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

Have you got 101 apps open? Close them all down (properly not just minimise them) and only have 1 open at a time to narrow down which app is slow. 

What app are you using to browse the internet ? Have you cleared the cache. 

Hi Gavp. Tbh i dont know what an app is, or a cache! I thought apps were phone things.

All i know is it uses safari, and it was refreshed, wiped clean prior to giving it to me a month ago.

1 minute ago, zoothorn said:

Hi Gavp. Tbh i dont know what an app is, or a cache! I thought apps were phone things.

All i know is it uses safari, and it was refreshed, wiped clean prior to giving it to me a month ago.

Maybe try a different internet browser to see if safari is where the issue is? 

1 minute ago, Gav_P said:

Maybe try a different internet browser to see if safari is where the issue is? 

Ah i get the gist of this, just thought safari was tied to this ipad bc it was an apple browser. Maybe its not and it would have been installed by my folks before then? Is safari what comes with ipad as default browser? Im fairly sure it is.. so if so it should work fine.

Right is there one you would suggest?

2 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

If you double tap the home button, you should get a carrousel of the apps that are still open. You can then swipe up on them to close them.

ok yes i was told to do this before, so know what you mean. Ok swiped podcast one away and settings and one other.. so just got this page open, with 3 tabs. So i only had 4 app things open.. not a silly number clogging it up.

Ok trying to open chrome page.. taking ages..

Im sure too safari should work fine. I use such a light few sites, opposite to a nerd with a flight simulator.

..still trying to load the page. But i can fling a reply up here in meantime just fine.

I don’t mean open chrome webpage. I mean download the app from the App Store. 

If you want to clear your cache and web history:

1. Open the Settings app.
  2. Tap Safari.
  3. Tap Clear History and Website Data. Tap "ClearHistory and Website Data" under the Safari tab in the Settings app. ... 
  4. On the screen that pops up, choose Clear History and Data.

• Like 1

2. Tap Safari.
  3. Tap Clear History and Website Data. Tap "ClearHistory and Website Data" under the Safari tab in the Settings app. ... 

2. Tap Safari.

Donload an app from an App Store is like asking me russian. I thought idea was to download chrome? All i recall on my laptop is google chrome, go to page, install.

I cant seem to do even that bc it asks me for an apple id. A what already?!

I can do the history clear, i think.

2 hours ago, zoothorn said:

I wonder if anyone can shed some light. My ipad air, recently given to me, is behaving really slowly.. youtube docs almost ground to a halt: 10 seconds play, then buffering for 1min/ repeatedly.

My laptop behaves fine, with same doco playing for eg, exact same juncture. Full bars of signal on this, going between 2 out of 3, and full 3/3 of signal on ipad.

So I'm well & truly stumped. Thanks, zoot schmooter.

Are you watching YouTube in the safari browser?

Have you tried to watch it in a private browsing safari page? 

If not can you try it and see if it happens the same?

1 minute ago, zoothorn said:

You do have an Apple account to manage the iPad don’t you? In whose name is the iPad running?

3 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Donload an app from an App Store is like asking me russian. I thought idea was to download chrome? All i recall on my laptop is google chrome, go to page, install.

I can do the history clear, i think.

?? ffs this is going to be like your washing machine thread isn’t it. ?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Gav_P said:

?? ffs this is going to be like your washing machine thread isn’t it. ?

promise it wont be. Mind you i did just laugh at myself saying how hopeless i am.

No look i am more adept at this lark than a mindmeld wm. ive actually done a hd install, os system renew.. on laptop. Ipads are alot newer and have stores and id and apps.. my laptop doesnt, im just not used to all this new xyz.

8 minutes ago, daiking said:

You do have an Apple account to manage the iPad don’t you? In whose name is the iPad running?

I feel ordered to reply with that Scary face looking at me..

no ive no idea about any account, and i dont know exactly whose name its running in pls dont fire the cork thingy at me..

So as @daiking says you need an Apple ID to be running the iPad. It’s most likely your email address. If you go into setting it’s probably the top most thing you will see (note: I don’t have an iPad to hand to see if it’s the same as my phone). 

I guess if it’s been gifted to you by family they may have left it with their ID. In that case you will need their password and probably would want to do a complete factory reset and start again with your own Apple ID.