Peg tiles - finding a suitable peg nail

Finally starting to get some tiles up on the roof. Im using all nibbed one side of the roof (blended) and all pegged the other side (blended). The only reason for using peg tiles is that I have 1500 of them already so it seems a shame not to use them, especially as they are quite pretty Victorian tiles. 

I bought a bag of 4.5mm x 30mm peg  nails and they seem a bit crap - not enough contact with the batten to firmly lock the tile, mainly due to the fact the peg hole in the tile is a fair bit larger than the nail and this makes the angle of the nail so that it wants to slip off the batten.

There are 7mm x 40mm peg nails available online but these will pierce the felt with 19mm batten, I really need a 7mmx35mm peg nail but this obviously doesn’t exist. 

Originally the roof had 7mm x 50mm pegs (actually 1/4” x 2”) but there was no membrane to worry about. 

If it’s a case if having to nail every row I’d rather get rid of them and go all nibbed. 

.....Or maybe I’m being too paranoid and they’re fine as are once there’s some weight on top of them from the tiles above? 

Any advice much appreciated, 

Cheers , 

Oscar 

E2E06676-BDB2-447A-A77A-739D43DB086A.jpeg

4F3E9D9D-0944-434B-801F-2DB2711D4BE9.jpeg

70EF9BB9-6F80-437D-B8A8-472BED7139B1.jpeg

CB58AAF0-53B8-4011-976D-0297645DD536.jpeg

Edited by OscarWilliams

I would have gone for 25mm battens if using pegs.

As it is what about 40mm flat end pegs that won't puncture the felt. Might have to use the 30mm pegs if the peg hole lines up with a rafter.

Something like this (H40ALISP1):

http://www.samacfixings.co.uk/Products/details?nodeid=117

Every tile should have at least one peg . Personally I would just be going with two in each.

The weight from the other tiles will hold tiles without a peg in place but long term I wouldn't risk it.

So if that leads you to giving up and ditching the peg tiles so be it.

At least your tiles look nice and flat! Mine were all over the shop and made it more like a jigsaw puzzle.

39 minutes ago, jfb said:

I would have gone for 25mm battens if using pegs.

As it is what about 40mm flat end pegs that won't puncture the felt. Might have to use the 30mm pegs if the peg hole lines up with a rafter.

Something like this (H40ALISP1):

http://www.samacfixings.co.uk/Products/details?nodeid=117

Every tile should have at least one peg . Personally I would just be going with two in each.

The weight from the other tiles will hold tiles without a peg in place but long term I wouldn't risk it.

So if that leads you to giving up and ditching the peg tiles so be it.

At least your tiles look nice and flat! Mine were all over the shop and made it more like a jigsaw puzzle.

I agree 25mm battens would have probably made all the difference. Perhaps thats a general rule then...when using peg tiles dont use a 19mm batten. Maybe the 30mm nails ive got are intented for nailing slates.

Was trying to google some nails for you but found...

http://www.roofconsult.co.uk/articles/tiling/tips14.htm

"Since September 1997 it has been recommended that all battens used for roof tiles and slates should be a minimum of 25mm thick to allow the tile nail to get a full 25mm of grip."

Makes me wonder why they still sell 19mm battens?

30 minutes ago, Temp said:

Was trying to google some nails for you but found...

http://www.roofconsult.co.uk/articles/tiling/tips14.htm

"Since September 1997 it has been recommended that all battens used for roof tiles and slates should be a minimum of 25mm thick to allow the tile nail to get a full 25mm of grip."

Makes me wonder why they still sell 19mm battens?

Battens are the same thickness as the ones that came off the roof (they'd lasted over 150 years)...bit late now I have the roof fully felted and partially tiled. The rows of tiles Ive nailed in have good purchase, however I agree 25mm batten would be superior.

Strange its still sold...probably just for penny pinchers like myself.

Edited by OscarWilliams

C

1 hour ago, OscarWilliams said:

mainly due to the fact the peg hole in the tile is a fair bit larger than the nail and this makes the angle of the nail so that it wants to slip off the batten.

Crazy idea but could you sleve 3.5mm nails with 4mm ID 7mm OD plastic tube? Would need to find some volunteer to cut up lots of bits of tube to length.

9 minutes ago, Temp said:

C

Crazy idea but could you sleve 3.5mm nails with 4mm ID 7mm OD plastic tube? Would need to find some volunteer to cut up lots of bits of tube to length.

Not the craziest, my dad had the same idea actually. My worry is that there is some variation in the peg hole size, the sleeve would stay in some but fall out of others so would have to use sealent on the ones which didn't, at which point I wonder its worth it for 1500 tiles. Still something I might consider though...