First ever stab at getting a house built

WWilts

Hello and welome,

Are you building yourself, project managing, or using contractors?

The go to book is as always The Housebuilder's Bible. Another is the recently published Self-build Simplified by Barry Sutcliffe. I found Self-build simplified more hands than the Housebulder's Bible, and has some really good info on project managing.

Both these will give you masses of food for thought to begin with.

HTH

• Like 2

2 hours ago, WWilts said:

Trepidation. 200 sqm, 2 floors. Wiltshire.

Grateful others have done this before. 

Any tips on what preliminary reading is advisable?

Yes read as much as this forum as possible, the vast majority of new questions asked are answered & covered in existing posts.  Plus you’ll pick up lots of tip ideas etc things you hadn’t thought about.   If you’re going to use a main contractor make sure you speak to their last clients.   Make sure your budget allows for plot cost + house build cost + access to an additional £30-£40k (to cover all the other stuff if needed.  Fees, services, etc etc.). Welcome.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bozza said:

access to an additional £30-£40k (to cover all the other stuff if needed.  Fees, services, etc etc.). Welcome.

Tell me about it. How much stuff is usually left off the list when you see published build costs??? Dealing with waste is one of those where before deciding to do it myself, the builders quotes often exluded in the small the print the cost of skips and waste removal - can't believe how much we spent during our demolition phase for this, even when we had to demolish and remove more than we'd planned for. This is where the books can also be a bit misleading as I think the prices for skips listed in the latest edition of Homebuilding Bible we could only dream of. The last time I spent that little on a skip was in the mid 2000s. ?