Can I cut through skirting board?

Grungegrrl03

Hello everyone - I am very new to DIY so this is probably a silly question. I built a daybed for the box room at the weekend and it fits perfectly except for one corner. I've attached a picture. 

My question is, would it be ok to cut a piece out of the skirting board for the foot of the bed to slot into? And if so, what tools will I need for this? 

Thanks so much in advance ?

DSC_1277.JPG

to cut the skirting neatly without removing it you'd need an oscillating saw. If you aren't an avid DIY'er then this would be a fairly expensive tool to buy for a one off job. If you know someone who might have one then borrowing might be an option. But without one it will be impossible to cut  a neat notch out of the skirting without taking it off the wall and cutting with a saw, and re-fitting either side of the bed leg. Easier and with a hand saw would be doing what Steamy says and cuting a notch out of the leg. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MarkyP said:

Easier and with a hand saw would be doing what Steamy says and cuting a notch out of the leg. 

Or with an angle grinder and sanding disk. I bought a cheap multitool from Lidl. Works alright, but always pick up the grinder first.

23 minutes ago, Grungegrrl03 said:

Hello everyone - I am very new to DIY so this is probably a silly question. I built a daybed for the box room at the weekend and it fits perfectly except for one corner. I've attached a picture. 

My question is, would it be ok to cut a piece out of the skirting board for the foot of the bed to slot into? And if so, what tools will I need for this? 

Thanks so much in advance ?

DSC_1277.JPG

I wouldn't cut the skirting, I'd cut the bed - when you move that thing or the next person moves into the house there will be a hole in your skirting and if it was a house I bought I would be cursing you.

It could be done and you would really want one of these: https://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dwe315sf-gb-300w-electric-oscillating-multi-tool-240v/8890h

This is a building forum and not really a DIY forum, so you may get better responses from a DIY forum. 

Edited by Carrerahill

I'd try to remove the piece of skirting first. If it is attached by some glue, prying with moderate force is all that is needed. When the layout changes in the future (or you don't like the idea or figure something different) you stick the same piece back again. If it doesn't give up, than decnet nails or screws were used and it won't work so easily

I had a similar situation (new build, all held together with snots) although with the piece removed betweeen inner corners, so no sharp edges of the remiaining skirting boards sticking out. I pried away (with a screwdriver, but a table knife would do the job if no better tools) from the wall to break the glue, then 'walked' up prying from the bottom at the corners to free from the remaining profiles and done.

Frankly cutting the bed leg, being made of proper wood might be more tedious job (even if the access is easier) than removing/cutting the skirting board and also reduces value of the piece of furniture (to zero?) in case of reselling.

• Like 1

I had a similar issue with getting some Ikea bookcases flush against the wall - they have a skirting profile cut into them but it was shorter that our skirting.

I used a round file to enlarge the profile on the Ikea - it did crumble a lot internally but looked fine externally.

Suggest you remove the whole run of skirting and if you want, make a single straight cut so it sits flush with the bed leg. If the bed comes out later  you can glue / nail the cut piece back and smear some caulk or filler between the two cut edges.

• Like 1

Thank you all sooooo much for these very helpful comments. It was actually my idea initially to shave a bit off the bed post but my bf argued against it.... ?

Anyway, I will take all of this into consideration. There is a radiator at the opposite end hence why it doesn't fit flush, and I can't move the radiator anywhere else as I need the space for other things (it is a very tiny room). I'm sure I'll work it out. Thanks again!! 

If you go for the oscillating saw, then  they usually come as one attachment to a "multitool" as linked above.

Multitools often come up in Aldi and Lidl special buy days, and can be quite reasonable in price. It is also a tool you may find many other uses for.

F

• Like 1