Protecting EPS (ICF) when backfilling.

Conor

We're backfilling the basement in week or so - 12mm drainage stone against the face.

We have the tanking layer stuck to the outer ICF face and an additional 50mm of EPS on top of that. Do I need a traditional drainage nboard against the EPS like you would for a tanking membrane? Or will the EPS be tough enough to be directly backfilled with stone? Tanking guys are recommending it but builder doesn't think it's needed. I'm worried about stones being forced between joins in the EPS panels.

46 minutes ago, Conor said:

... Or will the EPS be tough enough to be directly backfilled with stone? ...

If my experience is anything to go by, I think so.  No stones got jammed in ours.  Stones of a certain size 'stick' to it (you can brush them off later) , but thats all.

Spoke to the tanking company rep - said EPS as a protection for the tanking is satisfactory and will approve the warranty even without the cavity drain layer. Will be a very careful backfilling job!

Edited by Conor

7 hours ago, Conor said:

Spoke to the tanking company rep - said EPS as a protection for the tanking is satisfactory and will approve the warranty even without the cavity drain layer. Will be a very careful backfilling job!

Would be interested to know who you found for the warranty - is it a full warranty meaning consequential damages or limited to the value of the waterproofing products? I found it v hard to get full warranty for an underground EPS build.

Re the double drain - I managed to find a relatively good value supplier of this (the type without the membrane) so thought no harm and maybe some benefit  

13 hours ago, Adam2 said:

Would be interested to know who you found for the warranty - is it a full warranty meaning consequential damages or limited to the value of the waterproofing products? I found it v hard to get full warranty for an underground EPS build.

Re the double drain - I managed to find a relatively good value supplier of this (the type without the membrane) so thought no harm and maybe some benefit  

No idea. All I know is builder is required to provide structural and water ingress warranties as per the contract. 10year defects I think. I was only speaking to the rep as he was on site overseeing the tanking and okayed the design. 

Also found cheap drain sheets from drainage superstore, but didn't order them as not required and wouldn't be here on time before backfilling.

Edited by Conor

OK sounds good if your builder is providing this, I think some industry waterproofing schemes are linked to insurance cos to back-up a builder's own insurance which is great. If doing this stuff yourself then you can get a bit stuck as I found warranty companies aren't that interested in below-ground aspects with ICF and product suppliers don't tend to offer a comprehensive warranty - Sika stopped this a while back unfortunately.

Yes - think that's where I got mine double drain from. I figured I'd have belt , braces and  anything else.