OSB subfloor and tanking

SimonD

I've got OSB3 tg4 sub floor installed across the floors of my house. I'll be installing three bathrooms and one utility. When reading the BBA certificate for the OSB subfloor (did I really do that? Is that a sign of a newly acquired self-build abnormality? ) it says that when used in bathroom and kitchen areas the osb should be tanked before putting in the finished floor. Now, I was a bit surprised by this given this kind of osb's propensity to deal with moisture - it even survived several months of outdoor exposure and a lot of rain without any issue. (also surprised as I'm yet to find a bathroom installer recommending this kind of practise in a normal bathroom)

So, given this product's suitability for use in moist environments, occasional wetting and even 'occasional' exposure to weather during construction, is this tanking suggestion mere overkill or something I should take seriously? (if I'm building a wetroom, which I may do, I'd obviously be tanking the thing).

Thanks!

Likewise I wouldn’t have OSB as a deck - P5 chipboard is the usual sort of material that I’ve used or specced. 

For the sake of £60-70 I would tank the “wet rooms” regardless but I would leave the kitchen.