Replace Dwelling

Mania

27 minutes ago, joe90 said:

it’s not up to neighbours to approve what you do, it’s up to the law. It would be nice of you to inform her once the council have confirmed it.

Thank you Joe90.

I am looking at party wall agreements now, it looks like we will have to serve up to a year in advance of the build... being detached we won't be encroaching / or doing anything to shared walls / boundaries with either of neighbours, in fact there will be more of a gap either side. I am nervous about having to pay out for yet another surveyor of their choice in case the lady decides to dispute. Is there any sense in us to get a surveyor in to confirm the boundary from the outset? 

I will spend the next year forging a stronger relationship with her, we do get on well with them, particularly well with her husband. We will start a dialogue of our intentions and hopefully she won't have an issue. Thank you.  

1 minute ago, Mania said:

I am looking at party wall agreements now

why

1 minute ago, Mania said:

being detached we won't be encroaching / or doing anything to shared walls / boundaries with either of neighbours, in fact there will be more of a gap either side. I

Is the boundary visible, any dispute on anyone’s side? I presume you are leaving it where it is?

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

why

Is the boundary visible, any dispute on anyone’s side? I presume you are leaving it where it is?

The boundaries are clearly visible. And yes we are leaving them. We repaired fences both sides after discussing with both and they were fine with that. 

17 minutes ago, Mania said:

Really? I think we will be digging within 3 metres of the fence.

well you learn something every day!!, I thought party walls were only on a boundary but found this.

“and excavations close to a neighbour’s property (within three or six meters, depending on the depth of the new foundations).”

I stand corrected ?

Edited by joe90

This from gov.uk about party walls

You must tell your neighbours if you want to carry out any building work near or on your shared property boundary, or ‘party wall’, in England and Wales.

Party walls stand on the land of 2 or more owners and either:

• form part of a building
  • don’t form part of a building, such as a garden wall (not wooden fences)

so my interpretation is wooden fences are not included in the need to seek a party wall agreement. Might be worth running this past your BC just to make sure.

27 minutes ago, Mania said:

Please can you help and confirm my research?

Will we be exempt from paying council tax from when we demolish our bungalow until the replacement dwelling is complete? 

Yes.  When the bungalow is demolished you can have it removed from the register.  Your Council may deem when the new building should be completed, so they may start the new CT before actual completion.

47 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

Yes.  When the bungalow is demolished you can have it removed from the register.  Your Council may deem when the new building should be completed, so they may start the new CT before actual completion.

Same here, removed from register on day of demolition, later paid council tax on caravan at band a. Yes Council deeemed house finished before we moved in and banded it but got caravan tax cancelled as we had “moved in”.

Edited by joe90

16 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Same here, removed from register on day of demolition, later paid council tax on caravan at band a. Yes Council deeemed house finished before we moved in and banded it but got caravan tax cancelled as we had “moved in”.

Same here too.  Contacted the council.  A man came round and sat in our caravan, assessed that the house was demolished, and moved us onto Band A.  We contacted as soon as we "moved in" (in reality, when the van was sold, as our planning permission stated that the van had to be gone before occupation) and the new house has been banded.  No man came round this time.  The van council tax is now stopped.  I've got to challenge the new house banding is as it the top band (H) and no houses anywhere near us are in the top band and the monthly costs are extortionate.  Another job to do.......

1 hour ago, Mr Punter said:

I have done some of these a few years back.  We were only moving down one band and had a comparable or two so they didn't put up a fight.

That sounds positive.  We are only looking to go down one band too, in line with all the neighbours.  At the Band G vs Band H level it is a material monthly amount of money so definitely worth doing.  I need to knuckle down to the research to put the case to them but fingers crossed they won't put up a fight against us either.