Multi Pro Fireboard Kingspan insulation - Testing Required

NewToAllOfThis

We have run into a problem with the BCO saying that he needs an overall test certificate for insulation and fireboard.

We are having a timber frame, Kingspan insulation and using Multipro ProXS directly next to the insulation rather than OSB then Multi-Pro, the outside will be wood cladding.

The building Inspector is asking for a certificate that proves that placing the Multi Pro next to the insulation has been tested for fire regulations.

Has anyone else run into this situation and how have they resolved it.

I just can't imagine that products are all tested together as the number of combinations would be massive.

What happens if someone is installing their own insulation and fireboard with a stick build solution, how would they ever have it tested.

Does anyone have a list of what insulation has been tested with what fireboard ?

A few other sticking points to resolve but this is one that could put the whole project on hold.

You would need to contact Resistant to ask them for this. The board itself is A1 fire class but it’s BBA certificate is for fire resistance on internal walls. I’ve not seen a full composite wall test needed and you are using it as a racking component so it is in line with the certificate for that, but not sure the A1 fire class is also for when it is used in a racking situation 

Are you close to a neighbour hence why he is asking ..? Doesn’t entirely make sense as the external cladding is the point of fire spread. 

You need to check what part of ‘fire regulation’ your BCO is referring to. The  A1 rating refers to a materials reaction to fire, this is a test on the martial alone. If looking at the whole wall it is the resistance to fire that may be required depending upon application (load bearing or not, fire from one side or both sides.......). As mentioned there are so many possible combinations of materials they won’t all be tested!

As a sheathing alone the multipro will be better than osb.

I do the fire ratings as part of the tenders I submit 

If you are using an experienced contractor he should be able supply all of this as part of his quote 

While he won’t give you a certificate as such He will be able to supply breakdown of the fire rating and something to say the OSB isn’t needed 

Hes probably not come across this and wants something in writing 

You will have to fire seal all joints on the multi 

25 minutes ago, nod said:

I do the fire ratings as part of the tenders I submit 

If you are using an experienced contractor he should be able supply all of this as part of his quote 

While he won’t give you a certificate as such He will be able to supply breakdown of the fire rating and something to say the OSB isn’t needed 

Hes probably not come across this and wants something in writing 

You will have to fire seal all joints on the multi 

Thanks for the replies, yes we are close to boundary so need a fire proof board.

The contractor can supply BBA certs for the multi-pro and the kingspan insulation but BCO is requesting a combined test. I did ask if there was OSB in between the fireboard and insulation and both had been approved with OSB but not overall would this pass and although I didn't understand 100% what he said it did seem that this would be acceptable.

Although I can not find tests of kingspan insulation or a fireboard product with OSB.

How is this solvable

BCO is probably concerned with timber cladding externally and proximity to the boundary. Can just about guarantee you will not find a test ‘certificate’. As above there are so many materials and possible combinations of materials. I’m pretty sure that a timber stud wall with plasterboard one side, insulation and then osb externally will give 30 mins. fire resistance. The multipro in place of osb should give at least the same performance. Doubt you’ll find the test certificate though.

BC perhaps isn’t sure what he is asking you 

I supply fireproofing and labour to sites The site manager and inspectors have little or no knowledge of this They just make sure that the spec that I have prepared is followed to the letter and trust that what I’ve put my name to is correct 

Your BC will need the same thing 

Accompanied by a report from your contractor giving the fire ratings 

Perhaps a comparison comparing the rating for the multi with and without OSB 

Which would amount to the same rating 

It would be very difficult to check the work without knowing what he is checking 

If your contractor isn’t familiar with all this The suppliers Technical department will help

As Liam has already stated there won’t be a Fire Certificate as all buildings are different 

BC just needs that bit of paper 
The next one he comes across he will tell them This is how I want it done 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All, 

Thank you for the replies, we are still having problems, Kingspan have not been able to supply the required documents that building control have requested as they say they do not exist.

I am still wondering if there is mis-understanding between all parties as building control still don't seem to want to identify the individual problem and just rejecting information provided.

Has anyone else built their property at 1 metre of closer to their boundary and not used brick as the outer skin and PIR rather than rockwool as an insulator.

Although as said BCO isn't saying exactly what is wrong it does seem to be that PIR is not an A1 rated fire restistant material and even though the Multi-Pro XS is A1 rated and can withstand 60 minute fire test, this is not meeting building regs part B3 and B4.

If we have to use rockwool then we will not be able to achieve a reasonable U value as the house is narrow and will make the rooms a lot smaller.

Any ideas or solutions appreciated

Am working through the same sorts of issues now. My house is much further away from the boundaries so I don't have the same requirement but my reading of the regs indicated that wood cladding very near the boundary was very difficult to do. My BCO has been very helpful throughout. I can understand the concern with PIR insulation  since it is flagged as contributing to the Grenfell fire.