Pipe shrouds

Pocster

Ok

I asked this before I’m sure - but supplier has confused me .

I have a set of bath taps that are deck mount . But they supplied with 2 free standing pipes that they attach to . But I’m lost at how you get the water up the pipes !

Supplier thinks all deck mounted taps can be made free standing !

So ; what I’m saying is the stand pipes screw onto the tap fittings . But there’s no ( I would assume !! ) long flexi hose that fits from the tap ( inside the shroud ) then out the base of the stand pipes . Equally there’s zero fitting at the base of the stand pipes for water . Erm , so how does this work ? My assumption is , it doesn’t . But even looking online I see no idea how this could / should work .

8 minutes ago, wozza said:

Do you have a picture - do you mean you have copper tap tails?

I’ll upload later .

The thing that’s confusing everyone is any deck taps fit to the stand pipes - which is great . But there’s no fitting for an internal pipe I.e within the shroud to supply water . I suspect we will take taps and shrouds back and get a ‘proper’ 1 leg free standing tap . Watching a video of it installed makes perfect sense ; so I *think* this is the type of thing we want .

https://victoriaplum.com/browse/freestanding-bath-taps?csi=STP1004&ds_kid=92700055266145149&gclid=CjwKCAjwoc_8BRAcEiwAzJevtUnb2_fjRS2_aSyheFE1LTlEcF-K27VcIDJYSyMeQr2OnPReJ_4NLBoCJWgQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Of course the basin taps won’t match now ffs !!!

Edited by pocster

Measure the pipes and you’ll find they are probably a “standard” size such as 28mm or 32mm OD. They are expecting you to fit a compression backplate or similar to the sub floor and then the stand pipe fits into that. Water goes up the inside of the standpipe, no flex required. 

Photos and make / model of the taps also useful. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Measure the pipes and you’ll find they are probably a “standard” size such as 28mm or 32mm OD. They are expecting you to fit a compression backplate or similar to the sub floor and then the stand pipe fits into that. Water goes up the inside of the standpipe, no flex required. 

Photos and make / model of the taps also useful. 

Are you sure ?????? . So water flows up the shroud ?? . But there’s zero thread at the base of the shroud - that can’t be right ?!?!?!? . Photos etc. later when on site .

Appreciated ....

21 minutes ago, wozza said:

I helped fit one a long time ago - I think it had a floor fitting / mount that the standpipe connected into (separate hot / cold feeds that were like a push fit) and then secured with bolts.

Exactly . But I’ve got none of that .... ?

14 minutes ago, pocster said:

Are you sure ?????? . So water flows up the shroud ?? . But there’s zero thread at the base of the shroud - that can’t be right ?!?!?!? . Photos etc. later when on site .

Appreciated ....

the shroud is probably something like 1.5mm stainless or chromed pipe - perfectly suitable for water to go through. Alternative is they are something like this ..? They need a copper pipe up the middle. 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/watersmith-heritage-bath-standpipes/3166P

If it looks like it’s welded or seamed clothes rail then they may have fobbed you off with something else though ... 

Edited by PeterW
Deleted a line by accident..!

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

the shroud is probably something like 1.5mm stainless or chromed pipe - perfectly suitable for water to go through. Alternative is they are something like this ..? They need a copper pipe up the middle. 

https://www.screwfix.com/p/watersmith-heritage-bath-standpipes/3166P

If it looks like it’s welded or seamed clothes rail then they may have fobbed you off with something else though ... 

It’s exactly like that -  but how an earth do you fit a water supply to the end of the shroud ??? 

3 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Ok ... is it a Watersmith one ..?

Should be a pack of fitting with it, got a tap connector plus other bits ..?

Should go together like this ..

853D4D63-1C70-4F35-A345-78E562D38674.thumb.jpeg.9bed701b7271b365dc1cc3c1c1c53713.jpeg

Nope ! Nothing at all like that . Shroud connects to taps that it ?

Right !

Seller has got back to me !

Apparently it has to be copper going up through the shroud to add stability then a compression joint into the actual tap . 
Bum - I want to Hep2o everything !

Photo of taps to follow later - then direction to exactly what compression valve I need + copper ( I always use Jtm plumbing - bum raise they like helping idiots ! ) 

Then I presume below the floor - copper to Hep2o 

Edited by pocster

And even if you get the pipe shrouds to work, how are you going to connect the waste pop up mechanism without it looking naff?

you should have bought a floor mounting bath filler if that is what you wanted?

EDIT:

Even more confused. the instructions posted are for a different tap to the picture of part of a tap posted.

12 minutes ago, ProDave said:

And even if you get the pipe shrouds to work, how are you going to connect the waste pop up mechanism without it looking naff?

you should have bought a floor mounting bath filler if that is what you wanted?

EDIT:

Even more confused. the instructions posted are for a different tap to the picture of part of a tap posted.

Not looked at the waste mechanism .

The instructions come with a multitude of install options. This was sold as a floor mounted bath filler i.e. in the showroom the 'deck' taps are on the shrouds. Haven't got the bath yet - so that's a separate issue. 

I think I need to look at the shrouds again next time on site. I *assumed* you just screw a compression joint onto that thread - then run a pipe ( copper/hep2o whatever ) down inside the shroud.....

Take a picture of the shroud offered up to the bottom of the tap, and a picture of the bottom end of the shroud

If the shroud has a female thread that screws onto the bottom of the tap, then there is no way you can connect another pipe to the tap and run it up the inside.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Take a picture of the shroud offered up to the bottom of the tap, and a picture of the bottom end of the shroud

If the shroud has a female thread that screws onto the bottom of the tap, then there is no way you can connect another pipe to the tap and run it up the inside.

Yes ! This is what I think I discovered!!!

Will grab photos of the shrouds tomorrow.

Now I’m sat here thinking if I’ve been a k n o b . Please no-one quote that and answer yes !

Is it possible I had the shroud pipe up the wrong way ? . So the shroud threaded end goes into whatever bolts it to the floor . The non threaded end goes upto the tap - leaving the tap thread free for a connection .

It’s possible . I only looked at them once ...

Erm , amateur error !! maybe ..... ??