Loft hatch and ladders for timber frame passive house

I am looking for a couple of insulated, air tight loft hatches and ladders for my passive standard house. Its only a small area but i assume it would be stupid to get a bog standard one given the levels of insulation i have? i can see some very expensive ones around, wellhofer and jupiter e.g. Has anyone used these or have any recommendations for specific types/brands so i dont end up wasting money. Appreciate advice from anyone who has done this recently. 

I used an airtight hatch but it is only 550*550 so no space for a ladder. It was ok but it did leak a little on my diy depressurisation airtightness test. Some extra sealant fixed it but it does not have the robust seals of a door or window.

I like tony’s idea. I toyed with the idea of using a standard hatch and a pvc window as the other side of the airlock, perhaps a chunk of foam in the void for insulation. 

It would be a more robust option I feel. 

• Like 1

Olf - those are good spots, i  have been getting eye watering quotes for passive standard ones - £750 each. I have checked those 2 out and they look good dont they? be interested in finding out the lead times and if anyone has used either of these. I dont want to  be spending loads of money on these but on the other hand i also dont want a draughty gash (so to speak) in my passive house do I? 

• 1 month later...

we got Dolle ones in the end, £512 for the 2 which were much more reasonable than many of the others on offer TBH. I haven't installed them as yet but they seem pretty good. will let you know when we put them in and if there are any issues. There is a very helpful video on line on how to install and the company were decent to deal with. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/11/2020 at 21:03, john0wingnut said:

I’ve just installed a Dolle Clickfix76. Decent bit of kit!!

We have just installed one of ours now our ceilings are plastered. The joiner said he was quite impressed with it, it's provided with the architrave for the ceiling which is neat, it was easy to fit and no hassle. They have an installation video on their website which is v helpful. I am pleased with it, for the money i think its a decent buy though we may put some more insulation over the top of it at some point when we have some time. Hope this helps anyone trying to avoid having to take out a mortgage for one of the expensive alternatives!

• Thanks 1

On 10/12/2020 at 16:24, kaye said:

We have just installed one of ours now our ceilings are plastered. The joiner said he was quite impressed with it, it's provided with the architrave for the ceiling which is neat, it was easy to fit and no hassle. They have an installation video on their website which is v helpful. I am pleased with it, for the money i think its a decent buy though we may put some more insulation over the top of it at some point when we have some time. Hope this helps anyone trying to avoid having to take out a mortgage for one of the expensive alternatives!

Yer the trim is a nice touch, but is required due to them advising to leave the 5mm gap all the way around to ensure a plumb fit. 

My Dolle one replaced a young mans one and it is waaaaaaaaay better. 

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I know there has been a time delay - but I too am fitting an airtight hatch and found this product which seems to have better U values than the option discussed already.  Is there a problem with it please?

Here is the description:

Airtight at 600Pa of positive or negative air pressure (12 x the standard required)

• GWP and ODP rating of zero
  • Exceeds NHBC requirements
  • Spring loaded “easy to open” high compression catch
  • Inner & outer neoprene memory draught seals
  • Invisible pre-fitted hinges for a quick easy installation
  • Robust long lasting zintec steel design
  • Smooth white satin powder coated in RAL 9010
  • Slim frame for contemporary unobtrusive aesthetics
  • Projects into the ceiling space a mere 2mm
  • Air seals without the use of sealant or caulking
  • Three models exceeding Part “L”

Screenshot 2023-05-25 231958.jpg