Is anyone here planning on using an interior designer?

Hi everyone,

I am new to these forums and not in the middle of a self build, but I hope this is the right place to ask this question. Unsure of the etiquette here so apologies in advance if this post is against forum rules.

As the title suggests, I wanted to find out whether anyone here is planning on using an interior designer? I am an interior designer and trying to find out more about the demand from the self-build market.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on whether you are planning on using an interior designer and why/why not. If you have a minute to spare, I have some short questions below otherwise any opinions would be really helpful.

Many thanks,

Harman

1 | Would you ever consider hiring an interior designer? Why/why not?
2 | What would you consider hiring and interior designer for?
3 | What do you think an interior designer does?
4 | How much do you think an interior designer costs?
5 | What would make you want to hire an interior designer straight away?
6 | Where would you start looking or researching for a designer?
7 | What kind of project would you think is too small for an interior designer and how large do you think the project needs to be in order to hire one?
8 | What kind of price range would you expect to pay for an interior designers service for:
a) a large project (ie. a whole house)?
b) an online/low-cost design or help with just one room?

Hi Harman.

So our new build is going to be ready next month and will largely be furnished from scratch as we’re binning most our old furniture which was long overdue.  So for our interior decor & furniture we’ve basically been looking at Pinterest for design inspiration, but I do think we have a good eye for interior design.

Having seen show homes I’ve no doubt an interior designer could do a far better job than we could but what gives me concern about using one is this.  (never used one before).

What would happen if the designer came up with designs that we didn’t like or couldn’t afford.   How would that work.  What would an interior designer offer in terms of ideas that we could just get from Pinterest.  Personally I would probably consider paying a few hundred pounds for someone to come up with a few designs for all the rooms, anything more than that I personally couldn’t justify/afford.  With a view to then me sourcing the products.   I imagine that an interior designers costs are mainly time, so would expect to pay a fair hourly rate for maybes a few days work.  That’s why I’m thinking a few hundred quid unless you’re Kelly Hoppen or whoever.  

As a comparison I’m going to be using a highly recommended garden designer, at the lower end of her fees scale (£250).  That’s to do a walk around, give advice on plant types for my site which has landscaping challenges, listing suitable plant types etc in terms of soil conditions, shade etc etc all things I know nothing about, and some design ideas.    At £250 I figured I’ll save money rather than planting certain plants that simply wouldn’t survive at my site.  She charges up to £thousands if you want her to do 3d rendering,, project manage etc etc.  Some can afford that, I can’t.

Edited by Bozza
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, H Kaur said:

7 | What kind of project would you think is too small for an interior designer and how large do you think the project needs to be in order to hire one?
8 | What kind of price range would you expect to pay for an interior designers service for:

1) Probably, but not for the whole house as we'll never be able to afford one. However in the hindsight, probably we could if we ditched our PM early enough... :))

2) For a consistent / nicely flowing look of the interior, making professional suggestions in some areas which we won't otherwise pay attention to, for integrating various elements consistently, for bringing in cutting-edge thinking as we don't really follow the trend too intently.

3) I would imagine, listens to the clients and helps materialise their vision adjusted by professional opinion and within a certain budget, to make best use of the client's limited funds.

4) no idea, but a good one I would imagine expensive? £10k+??

5) If I had absolutely no idea what to do with a blank canvass / no vision for my own needs and preferences.

6) Houzz, word of mouth

7) No project is too small, but it all depends on my budget. Some people may hire one to design a cat's nook...

? (a) as above (b) £250??

In our case, we went with very simple clean choices for the majority of areas, focusing on some outstanding key features. I wanted my library and hallway done in Robert Adam-esque style so I went for dusty pastels, swag&drops and crystal lights, bedrooms are simple and clean on walls with key accents on sumptuous textiles and carpets, and bathrooms are themed (a Roman-style for my ensuite with warm travertine and mosaics, a cool icy one for HWMBO with white lappato marble and agate feature wall, and a simple marble with mosaics for guest shower. Downstairs WC which the cat uses is a bit psychodelic with royal blue upper walls, white gloss metro tiles and 3D floors :))).  But we've travelled alot and some of interior designs were brought in from the places we stayed in. A professional designer would probably have done a much more consistent and sleek job, but we are naturally eclectic so suits us. Soft touches are still to be added as I have tons of stuff to hang on walls! 

• Like 1

Maybe I’m not the right person to answer this as I have an interior design qualification but I think self builds are a very personal choice, we have all put a lot of time and effort into the design and build and have already made a lot of choices regarding materials and have a vision of what we hope to achieve and this includes the interior. In our last build I had the interior designed before the house was completed, this time we were once again refurnishing the whole place other than beds but I decided to live with the basics until I got a feel for the place and within a few months I had it in my head how it should look. I think most self builders work to a very tight budget and as the build progresses and things don’t always go to plan , unforeseen costs crop up and very few would have the spare funds at the end of the build to then engage an interior designer. 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Bozza said:

Hi Harman.

So our new build is going to be ready next month and will largely be furnished from scratch as we’re binning most our old furniture which was long overdue.  So for our interior decor & furniture we’ve basically been looking at Pinterest for design inspiration, but I do think we have a good eye for interior design.

Hi Bozza,

I think it was a really smart move on your part in hiring a garden designer - they provide enormous value and bring a lot of knowledge and expertise that is indispensable when making lasting design decisions! I would say that it’s the same case with an interior designer – if an interior designer is hired from the very beginning of the project at the same time as the building contractor and architect, we can provide electrical and lighting layouts (rather than giving up your designs to your builder), make good decisions about space planning and can advise on the usability of kitchen and bathroom suppliers.

Lots of interior designers offer more accessible design packages these days thanks to e-design and you’ll find these are usually more affordable with a set fee as it is an online service. A typical e-design service would usually begin with a concept board to understand your needs, followed by a design scheme and floorplans and finally a shopping list with all the items already sourced so you can buy directly. I always offer two rounds of revisions but this will probably vary according to each designer.

Mistakes can be expensive particularly with kitchens and bathrooms and then all the other internal fixtures and finishes, furniture and accessories on top. Sometimes things just don’t look quite right but it’s not clear why so a designer can make sure that the end result is beautiful, functional and will stand the test of time.

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my questions  - I  really appreciated the detail in your response as it’s helped me better understand common concerns and the barriers to hiring an interior designer.

And congratulations on moving into your new build next month! I hope the move goes well and fingers crossed it’s a nice smooth process for you ?

Harman

23 hours ago, Bored Shopper said:

1) Probably, but not for the whole house as we'll never be able to afford one. However in the hindsight, probably we could if we ditched our PM early enough... :))

2) For a consistent / nicely flowing look of the interior, making professional suggestions in some areas which we won't otherwise pay attention to, for integrating various elements consistently, for bringing in cutting-edge thinking as we don't really follow the trend too intently.

3) I would imagine, listens to the clients and helps materialise their vision adjusted by professional opinion and within a certain budget, to make best use of the client's limited funds.

4) no idea, but a good one I would imagine expensive? £10k+??

5) If I had absolutely no idea what to do with a blank canvass / no vision for my own needs and preferences.

6) Houzz, word of mouth

7) No project is too small, but it all depends on my budget. Some people may hire one to design a cat's nook...

? (a) as above (b) £250??

In our case, we went with very simple clean choices for the majority of areas, focusing on some outstanding key features. I wanted my library and hallway done in Robert Adam-esque style so I went for dusty pastels, swag&drops and crystal lights, bedrooms are simple and clean on walls with key accents on sumptuous textiles and carpets, and bathrooms are themed (a Roman-style for my ensuite with warm travertine and mosaics, a cool icy one for HWMBO with white lappato marble and agate feature wall, and a simple marble with mosaics for guest shower. Downstairs WC which the cat uses is a bit psychodelic with royal blue upper walls, white gloss metro tiles and 3D floors :))).  But we've travelled alot and some of interior designs were brought in from the places we stayed in. A professional designer would probably have done a much more consistent and sleek job, but we are naturally eclectic so suits us. Soft touches are still to be added as I have tons of stuff to hang on walls! 

Hi,

I love the sound of your home – what an absolute dream to have a library! I think it’s great that you’ve taken so much inspiration from your travels too, I can imagine your home has an enormous amount of personality and charm.

It’s funny that you mentioned ditching your PM – lots of interior designers offer a project management service nowadays so it’s an amazing way of getting more value for your money! Thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions, you’ve really helped me understand how self-builders make decisions about where to spend their hard earned money. Have a great weekend!

Harman

23 hours ago, recoveringbuilder said:

Maybe I’m not the right person to answer this as I have an interior design qualification but I think self builds are a very personal choice, we have all put a lot of time and effort into the design and build and have already made a lot of choices regarding materials and have a vision of what we hope to achieve and this includes the interior. In our last build I had the interior designed before the house was completed, this time we were once again refurnishing the whole place other than beds but I decided to live with the basics until I got a feel for the place and within a few months I had it in my head how it should look. I think most self builders work to a very tight budget and as the build progresses and things don’t always go to plan , unforeseen costs crop up and very few would have the spare funds at the end of the build to then engage an interior designer. 

Hi there,

I totally hear you on the budget side of things – the last thing you’d want to do would be to hire an interior designer at the very end of your project when your budget has been stretched! I always tell my clients that the earlier they get me involved, the more I can prevent bad decisions and add value. I know you’ll appreciate this more than most! I bet you are a total pro now that you have done this twice. Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts!

Harman

On 22/10/2020 at 20:31, H Kaur said:

1. Yes, but not on my current build. I have some fixed plans for this one and a lot of things are now set in stone (well, wood in this case) or are things that I am going to be strongly against changing so there isn't much flexibility! SWMBO, the architect and I sorted much of the details out prior to planning. If I do another build, or a renovation in a few years then it makes sense to consider including interior design as another service at the early stage since it's one of those things that may prove to be close to cost neutral.

2. "Common" parts - kitchen, bathrooms, lounge etc. to ensure good use of space, compliance with regs and ensuring the spaces fit our needs.

3. I would expect good knowledge of appropriate regulations/best practice etc and currently available materials/products/processes  to enable everything from lighting design to laying out kitchens and achieving a good fit and finish to budget as appropriate to the client's brief. If it were "full service" I would expect project management and either recomendations for trades or fully organising subcontractors. Probably lots of nice 3D rendered pictures too!

4. No idea. Would assume it starts from a few hundred for a basic package to provide a plan to several thousand for sorting out all the work from beginning to end.

5. If my muse lets me down while looking at a space with constraints that makes it difficult to achieve my desires. (Blank slates are rather easier to deal with.)

6. Internet searches and probably asking for advice here, noting the no advertising rules.

7. It depends on how hard the problem is. Smaller than a single room is probably not worthwhile, all things considered.

8a. It depends on the ceiling sale price of the street or house to a large extent. I would be motivated to pay more for maximising value (from a good interior design of course) on a £700k+ house than a £200k house. This would obviously be reflected in the scope of work - details matter a lot more when the buyers are more limited. Sadly even in self build land, house prices are important because situations change and we need to plan for this.

8b. In the low hundreds, depending on the brief.

Finally, what's with everything being battleship grey in houses these days? I see enough of this at work!

• Like 1

I appreciate that you have identified yourself as an Interior Designer trying to understand the market up front. Thank-you - that gives the basis for a useful conversation.

My comments relate to my use of an ID on a recent project as a small LL. I hope they are helpeful to you and also to other SBs. As an ID you need to pattern your engagement very individually, and IMO the key things will be understanding the requirements, and educating people as to what is possible. Each self-builder is very different, and the market is perhaps well-desribed as "micro-segmented into units of one", which you *may* find ways to aggregate *a little*. ?

The  example of upfront guidance and material provided by the Architectural Practice Allan Corfield may be a good parallel example you could learn from.

I used an Interior Designer for the design and refurb of a student rental in the last 2 years, so my comments are 'notes for a customer' and relate to a customer view, not following the question structure. You need to look at the other side of this view to find your routes to market. The key aspect for me was that I as given advice by a professional lettings agent I already respected. It was left-field for me, and I had to do some work to appreciate the possibilities.

- For an established ID with a proven track record the costs per day will not be that different to hiring an architect.

- Proving experience is likely to be more difficult, but it needs the same due diligence as you are hiring an artistic skillset, which is more personal than a trade skillset. But IDs do not have a standard training route as well established as an Architect. Past portfolio is critical.

- I treated PM as a separate skillset. Not all Architects are good PMs; the same applies to IDs. Needs a separate segment of due diligence.

- £250 will honestly not get very much, unless using eg a student or getting a favour / loss leader. £250 is less than one day if you are only buying one day, which may not even be enough properly to understand your requirements - but £800-1200 plus expenses may be one week. You may get a few sketch ideas, or perhaps a piggyback off another project. 

- Like an architect, you get out what your put in. The only way to judge the outcome is if you have defined and communicated your requirements / expectations / scope well. If you have not, then your ID, as your architect would be, has nothing to go on except their own opinions and guesses about your needs. You need to have enough knowledge and self-knowledge to ask questions pertinent to both.

- You need the skills to distinguish between style and fashion, and to communicate the your aspirations to the ID.

- It is important to have enough creativity remaining in the project to give satisfaction to the ID. IDs and Architects are rightly not happy if they are reduced to a monkey dancing for the organ grinder. It needs to be a continuous collaboration, and it will not come down like a spaceship from the sky.

- Cost control is probably best as much by adjusting scope and time taken plus looking for synergy, not by *excessive* arguing about rate.

It is a rather different ballgame if your role is as a developer, when you are looking for perceived value, rather than personal value.

In my case I was approached by my (excellent) lettings agent with a proposal to update, using an ID that they had used for previous projects which I could see. The PM was handled by the agent managing the ID who did all the purchasing and nitty gritty, and me giving detailed input in response to a detailed proposal which involved a certain amount of re-scoping then touch-bases throughout. ID was looking after all the purchasing and implementation. Project was a big success. I'm not talking about numbers online, but you could PM me.

My comments. HTH.

F

• Like 3

On 24/10/2020 at 12:54, dnb said:

Finally, what's with everything being battleship grey in houses these days? I see enough of this at work!

Hi DNB,

Thanks so much for answering my questions and in so much detail, this is really valuable information! I am with you on the blanket battleship grey - I think colour used elegantly is much more beautiful and timeless.

Thanks again,

Harman

P.S I was not aware of the no advertising rules, so I'll be familiarising myself with those ASAP!

On 24/10/2020 at 14:02, Ferdinand said:

I appreciate that you have identified yourself as an Interior Designer trying to understand the market up front. Thank-you - that gives the basis for a useful conversation.

My comments relate to my use of an ID on a recent project as a small LL. I hope they are helpeful to you and also to other SBs. As an ID you need to pattern your engagement very individually, and IMO the key things will be understanding the requirements, and educating people as to what is possible. Each self-builder is very different, and the market is perhaps well-desribed as "micro-segmented into units of one", which you *may* find ways to aggregate *a little*. ?

The  example of upfront guidance and material provided by the Architectural Practice Allan Corfield may be a good parallel example you could learn from.

I used an Interior Designer for the design and refurb of a student rental in the last 2 years, so my comments are 'notes for a customer' and relate to a customer view, not following the question structure. You need to look at the other side of this view to find your routes to market. The key aspect for me was that I as given advice by a professional lettings agent I already respected. It was left-field for me, and I had to do some work to appreciate the possibilities.

- For an established ID with a proven track record the costs per day will not be that different to hiring an architect.

- Proving experience is likely to be more difficult, but it needs the same due diligence as you are hiring an artistic skillset, which is more personal than a trade skillset. But IDs do not have a standard training route as well established as an Architect. Past portfolio is critical.

- I treated PM as a separate skillset. Not all Architects are good PMs; the same applies to IDs. Needs a separate segment of due diligence.

- £250 will honestly not get very much, unless using eg a student or getting a favour / loss leader. £250 is less than one day if you are only buying one day, which may not even be enough properly to understand your requirements - but £800-1200 plus expenses may be one week. You may get a few sketch ideas, or perhaps a piggyback off another project. 

- Like an architect, you get out what your put in. The only way to judge the outcome is if you have defined and communicated your requirements / expectations / scope well. If you have not, then your ID, as your architect would be, has nothing to go on except their own opinions and guesses about your needs. You need to have enough knowledge and self-knowledge to ask questions pertinent to both.

- You need the skills to distinguish between style and fashion, and to communicate the your aspirations to the ID.

- It is important to have enough creativity remaining in the project to give satisfaction to the ID. IDs and Architects are rightly not happy if they are reduced to a monkey dancing for the organ grinder. It needs to be a continuous collaboration, and it will not come down like a spaceship from the sky.

- Cost control is probably best as much by adjusting scope and time taken plus looking for synergy, not by *excessive* arguing about rate.

It is a rather different ballgame if your role is as a developer, when you are looking for perceived value, rather than personal value.

In my case I was approached by my (excellent) lettings agent with a proposal to update, using an ID that they had used for previous projects which I could see. The PM was handled by the agent managing the ID who did all the purchasing and nitty gritty, and me giving detailed input in response to a detailed proposal which involved a certain amount of re-scoping then touch-bases throughout. ID was looking after all the purchasing and implementation. Project was a big success. I'm not talking about numbers online, but you could PM me.

My comments. HTH.

F

Hi Ferdinand,

Thank you so much for such a detailed response, your comments have been very helpful! I have looked at Allan Corfield Architects and I'm really happy to see that they specialise in eco homes as I specialise in sustainable design. Also appreciate the heads up on every self-builder being different - I look forward to learning about the unique requirements of each client and providing a tailored service.

Many thanks again,

Harman

I approached an ID but they wanted ££££s and all the products they use were ££££ which adds up to many £££££.

1 | Would you ever consider hiring an interior designer? Why/why not? YES
2 | What would you consider hiring and interior designer for? DESIGNING INTERIOR
3 | What do you think an interior designer does? SEE ABOVE
4 | How much do you think an interior designer costs?  £10,000+
5 | What would make you want to hire an interior designer straight away? YES
6 | Where would you start looking or researching for a designer? INTERNET
7 | What kind of project would you think is too small for an interior designer and how large do you think the project needs to be in order to hire one? NA
a) a large project (ie. a whole house)? SEE NO4
b) an online/low-cost design or help with just one room? £1,000

Edited by Water
  • Like 1

On 26/10/2020 at 23:57, Water said:

I approached an ID but they wanted ££££s and all the products they use were ££££ which adds up to many £££££.

1 | Would you ever consider hiring an interior designer? Why/why not? YES
2 | What would you consider hiring and interior designer for? DESIGNING INTERIOR
3 | What do you think an interior designer does? SEE ABOVE
4 | How much do you think an interior designer costs?  £10,000+
5 | What would make you want to hire an interior designer straight away? YES
6 | Where would you start looking or researching for a designer? INTERNET
7 | What kind of project would you think is too small for an interior designer and how large do you think the project needs to be in order to hire one? NA
a) a large project (ie. a whole house)? SEE NO4
b) an online/low-cost design or help with just one room? £1,000

Hi Water,

Thanks for your response - not every interior designer will charge you £10k+, that seems really high (unless you live in a mansion?)

I would love to be able to afford an interior designer. My reasons are that I am a bit of a perfectionist but I am also very indecisive. This causes me great stress as I go around looking at styles and colours etc wishing I could decide on them to make a perfect picture. I usually end up with very bland effects in order to play safe.

I have asked for a garden design for my Birthday. My reason for this is that we, as a couple, have more arguments over what happens in the garden. My husband is much more likely to give in to me in the house as I have proved to him, many times, that once the colour/pattern etc is chosen he never notices it. I, on the other hand, will keep checking that things "go" with each other. I might be satisfied or I might long to change things.

On 22/10/2020 at 20:31, H Kaur said:

Hi everyone,

I am new to these forums and not in the middle of a self build, but I hope this is the right place to ask this question. Unsure of the etiquette here so apologies in advance if this post is against forum rules.

As the title suggests, I wanted to find out whether anyone here is planning on using an interior designer? I am an interior designer and trying to find out more about the demand from the self-build market.

I'd really appreciate your thoughts on whether you are planning on using an interior designer and why/why not. If you have a minute to spare, I have some short questions below otherwise any opinions would be really helpful.

Many thanks,

Harman

Hello Harman.

Firstly, thanks to all for the posts, great informative reading.

I make my living in the construction industry but taking that hat off, difficult though. But to go through your questions in an informal way.

1/ Yes, because as you get older you find you don't know it all.

2/ Yes to benefit from professional expertise.. see above. Not all professionals charge Queen's Council rates.

3/ One facet is that you could get more for the same amount.  If you want to spend a bit more then there is a lot of fun to be had. For me a lot of the stuff I do is often hidden, no one sees it. What clients do see, and live with is the the finishes and how they suit with their way of living. They will often attach a value to that, you maybe need to find a way of getting the message over and understand what matters to them and how they percieve value.

4/ I'll avoid this question, suffice to say, the fee could be offset by the savings they could bring. See Steamy Tea's post.

5/ Would not get one in at the "planning permission in principle stage" say, but once that is cleared then I would say that it does no harm just to start making tentative contact with an interior designer.

6/ Word of mouth.

7/ Non really, after all you can go to a shop and get a "personal shopper", go online if you want blinds for windows and get advice when they come to measure up and so on. This extra time has to be paid for at some point.  The shops/ window blind people are trying to find a way of "adding value" to the basic garment / blind etc.

8a/ Using a different analogy. A lot of the kitchen / bathroom companies these days are providing an in house design service. These costs are built into the price you pay. Let's face it, if you go to many main stream suppliers and sit down with say a  kitchen designer then the customer has to pay their wages at some point? This could be a model to use as a template for interior design?

8b/ Much will depend on your motive. Online as I understand is a very competetive market and to get established in the low end mass market often needs some heavy investment.

Hope this helps.

On 28/10/2020 at 21:32, H Kaur said:

Hi Water,

Thanks for your response - not every interior designer will charge you £10k+, that seems really high (unless you live in a mansion?)

Not a mansion but london prices :(

It is quite full on designing the interior of a whole house and project managing the implementation.

Edited by Water

2 minutes ago, Water said:

Not a mansion but london prices :(

It is quite full on designing the interior of a whole house and project managing the implementation.

Yes agree with Water, so long as you can deliver good value. At the top end that may swing more towards creativity (time spent) vs cost (your fee), at the self build end that may be driven by cost primarily with a bit of uplift for the flare / unique personal touch that an interior designer can bring. Really at the top end your work / reputation should speak for it's self and folk will seek you out anyway by way of personal recommendation.

Is there any milage in having a look at what sort of uplift the kitchen / bathroom companies are putting on the base cost of the units say as many of them seem to be offering a "free design service" I don't know but maybe some parts of their model can be adapted to suit the interior design?

At the self build end, if you are thinking about the business side of things then they (kitchen bathroom companies) have a pretty heavy software developement cost, but when you actually look a how functional the software it's not too flexible which leaves another door open for the interior designer?

• Like 1

I suppose it depends on what you class as ID and what is actual house design ,as in architect

and primarly cost for consultation 

are fees based on cost of interior or floor area ?

I have no idea how much  an ID would charge  for say a 300sqm home would it be twice that of a 150sqm  one ?

but i can see if going that way then you could argue that an ID should be in at the house design stage -before plans are final ?

I am a doer  as in building +working through technical problems -

at this time all these sort of decisions will be mainly architect and SWMB  

unless its something really arty farty --then I have my say 

• 1 year later...

We're currently looking at IDs. We've had the initial blurb from one who only works on projects that have a minimum budget of £40k per room, not including kitchens and bathrooms! We don't have a quote from them yet, but for a full house brief, I suspect it'd easily be into 5 figures...

• Like 1