Fakro v Velux

eandg

Any thoughts?

I've a merchant saying it can get me Fakro windows in any size (including 1340 x 1400) which I've not been able to find online at all, the only difference being that Fakro don't do solar so it'll have to be electric, and is coming in 10% below a Velux quote. 

Fakro are usually more expensive than velux but it's a better product imo - if it's special sizes I can't see how it's cheaper than velux at all! 

If the spec is what you want and you're getting the right flashing kit etc then it's a no brainer for me but I check the specs thoroughly as fakro have endless options

1 minute ago, the_r_sole said:

I'm sure they'll do whatever you want in any size, but the costs might come into play - I think the even do a quadruple glazed unit...

Thanks - I'll go back to them and see what they can do. Costs, operation and u-values being equal you'd advise to select Fakro on quality grounds then?

Just now, eandg said:

Thanks - I'll go back to them and see what they can do. Costs, operation and u-values being equal you'd advise to select Fakro on quality grounds then?

From what I've seen of them, I'd say fakro is a better window (i've seen the sales rep jumping up and down on one in a roof  to show how secure they are ?

I think that it's a nicer window which feels a bit more substantial to the velux, I think they've tried to develop the design rather than just copy it - but as I say, usually they are more expensive....

• 2 weeks later...
5 minutes ago, MortarThePoint said:

That's an interesting find.  What I find particularly interesting is that seems to not have a trickle vent. That is something the other manufacturers charge extra not to fit.

7 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Really low spec units that have a 1.5 uValue and only have 3mm glass on the inside pane and are not toughened. Made in Poland from memory and get rebadged by a number of importers. 

Interesting, thanks. Is toughened glass necessary for a roof light given its largely out of harms way?