Site prep for static or a lodge

Hi all, we're trying to sort out our onsite accommodation as we'll be homeless in a few months. Initially we were thinking a static - but the max width we can fit through gateways etc is only 10ft, the novelty of which I think would wear off quite quickly. I've now started to look at twin lodges, which come in two 10ft wide sections. This would give us somewhere comfortable to live, then we could move it away from the house after the build and use it possibly for airbnb/family etc - something which is a bit more desirable in a lodge than a static.

I'm trying to sort out what sort of groundworks I need to support a lodge. I've been told that a slab is preferable, due to the risk of the two halfs moving relative to each other. Has anyone done this for a lodge before? Would the slab need to be reinforced (it would need to be at least 20'x30')? Ideally we would like something with less of a footprint as it will be sited in a field - are smaller footings at various points a reasonable compromise?

Thanks all

What does your Planning Permission allow?  I don't believe Planning Permission is required for temporary "Workers accommodation". However everyone living there there has to be capable of working on the site at least at weekends. Children cannot be site workers so if they were living there you would need Planning Permission. Usually you apply for this when applying for PP for the house.

If you need but don't have PP the planners may go easy on you if its obvious its going to be a temporary feature while you construct the house. If work on the house stopped and neighbours complained it had become permanent they could easily decide it was no longer a works van and needed planning permission.

Long term you might not need PP to use it as an outbuilding as long as its ancillary to the main house. Letting it out probably would need PP.

"Log Cabins" vary enormously in quality. Its also been a area that con artists have operated in the past so take care.  Some are little more than sheds with no insulation. With some insulation is an optional extra. If you are going to let it out in future it would need to meet the Building Regulations. 

Pad and pier foundations might be an option but you would need input from the supplier. How much support does the floor need? and it might still look too permanent for the planners. 

Edited by Temp

Got pp, so all good. I just added a paragraph in the planning statement.

Agree a massive slab makes everything look more permanent though.

The second hand lodges I've been looking at seem to be Cosalt or Pinelog models, all ex-holiday park and are residential spec (whatever that means) with double glazing and central heating etc. Seem to be fairly substantial.

Be careful, a neighbour had a double installed in his garden, was let out fir years, we actually stayed there for 6 months as my wife got a job locally before our new build was complete, However it was only us that paid council tax, now the council will now not let him rent it out and he even wanted to live in it himself and sell his house (new drive was ready) but they refused and he has spent many thousands £££ fighting it through lawyers, it’s now sat empty!!!

Edited by joe90

https://www.ukholidayhomesltd.com/caravansales/cosalt-timber-lodge-0/#.X48Wz9BKi70

".. all we need providing is a level base with access (i.e. Concrete, Tarmac, heavy rolled stone or concrete flags on grass at a minimum".

I wouldn't go for flags on grass but flags on compacted permeable hardcore might work (eg MOT 3 not MOT 1). What's drainage like on site?  Otherwise perhaps build your own timber platform on blocks for it to sit on. 

Up here, the planners normally grant temporary PP for a static caravan with the standard clause, the caravan is removed once the house is complete.

I wanted to retain mine as a studio, workshop and store room so I asked for permission to keep it.  They granted permission for it to stay with a clause "residential use of the caravan shall cease upon occupation of the house"

Are you sure you really have PP to keep it to let as a holiday rental?

If you go to caravan forums (as I did) you will find that planning permission is not required fir a caravan in a garden (despite the planners telling you that you do!). As long as it’s not complete as a living module (kitchen bathroom etc) I.e. if you have to come in the house to use a toilet or cook food it’s not a “complete module”. This has been established by lawyers acting for home owners with a caravan.

It is within the law to site a caravan within the ‘curtilage’ of your home i.e. in your garden or on your drive, without having to acquire planning permission. However, the static caravan or mobile home must accompany the house for ancillary uses only. An example of this would be for guest accommodation, and cannot be the primary living or sleeping area.

Edited by joe90

10 minutes ago, joe90 said:

If you go to caravan forums (as I did) you will find that planning permission is not required fir a caravan in a garden (despite the planners telling you that you do!). As long as it’s not complete as a living module (kitchen bathroom etc) I.e. if you have to come in the house to use a toilet or cook food it’s not a “complete module”. This has been established by lawyers acting for home owners with a caravan.

It is within the law to site a caravan within the ‘curtilage’ of your home i.e. in your garden or on your drive, without having to acquire planning permission. However, the static caravan or mobile home must accompany the house for ancillary uses only. An example of this would be for guest accommodation, and cannot be the primary living or sleeping area.

And if you have one on that basis, you would not be able to let it as a holiday unit.

4 hours ago, Temp said:

https://www.ukholidayhomesltd.com/caravansales/cosalt-timber-lodge-0/#.X48Wz9BKi70

".. all we need providing is a level base with access (i.e. Concrete, Tarmac, heavy rolled stone or concrete flags on grass at a minimum".

I wouldn't go for flags on grass but flags on compacted permeable hardcore might work (eg MOT 3 not MOT 1). What's drainage like on site?  Otherwise perhaps build your own timber platform on blocks for it to sit on. 

Drainage is ok, but it's a sloping site and will need a fair amount of earth scraping away to make level. At least compacted hardcore would be easier to dig up again when needed - think that night be the best option.

4 hours ago, ProDave said:

And if you have one on that basis, you would not be able to let it as a holiday unit.

Yep, I'll cross that bridge when it comes to it (though what's that expression about it being easier to ask for forgiveness than permission?...). First thing though is to get somewhere to stay in for ourselves.