Fire alarms Scotland

Thedreamer

My colleague mentioned to me that all homes in Scotland have to install mains connected smoke alarms by February 21?

Perhaps this will be pushed back because of COVID, but if not and you didn't would your insurance be invalid?

£200/£300 is a bit of money for an installation around Christmas time when people are hard up.

37 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

My colleague mentioned to me that all homes in Scotland have to install mains connected smoke alarms by February 21?

I think they have to be interlinked but do not have to be mains powered?

Alarms that meet the new standard, both tamper proof long-life lithium battery alarms and mains-wired alarms, are widely available in general hardware outlets and online.

https://www.gov.scot/publications/fire-and-smoke-alarms-in-scottish-homes/

7 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

Whether they are mains or interlinked, it's still going to be a job that the average person is going to get a sparky to do.

insurance would require it to be done by a sparky I would think

and along with a record of test and when they are done 

Edited by scottishjohn

Good posts.

Don't skimp on the smoke alarms.

You'll often see folk complaining (maybe not so much on build hub) about say activity spaces in kitchens, bathooms and smoke alarms.

The building regulations are, in part are designed to keep you safe.

For me, the fire regulations need to be improved and made more robust. Overall, it's a small extra amount. If you have ever been in a fire it is no fun, you want to make sure you can get out first, then be glad that you did it the right way and that the insurance will pay to clean up what is left.

I didn’t know either until recently but there has been a bit of chat about it on a local forum. Apparently you can have wireless ones that interlink if they have a tamper proof battery. Other then that an electrician would need to install a mains one. People are apparently being quoted £600 to supply and fit the mains ones. 

Whenever this is actually implemented, I expect the majority will ignore it, a bit like all septic tanks discharging to a watercourse must be updated to a treatment plant by January 2020.

I would think by now all rental properties will have them, that's been law for a while. 

As to price.  It all depends on how much work is needed.  It can be very disruptive getting new cables pulled around a house, which is where the wireless ones are your friend.

Needless to say, nobody has asked me to quote yet.

Just now, ProDave said:

Whenever this is actually implemented, I expect the majority will ignore it, a bit like all septic tanks discharging to a watercourse must be updated to a treatment plant by January 2020.

I would think by now all rental properties will have them, that's been law for a while. 

As to price.  It all depends on how much work is needed.  It can be very disruptive getting new cables pulled around a house, which is where the wireless ones are your friend.

Needless to say, nobody has asked me to quote yet.

The risk of insurance being invalid, to me would be main reason most will install. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Crofter said:

Presumably these can be powered from a lighting circuit? Seems like the easiest way.

If you have "loop at light" it's easy to pick up a permanent feed and use a wireless alarm.  But not if you have "loop at switch"

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Crofter said:

Will there be anything to stop a homeowner doing this themselves

The link I gave before:- https://www.gov.scot/publications/fire-and-smoke-alarms-in-scottish-homes/

This is based on using the type of alarms that you can install by yourself without the need for an electrician for installing a hard-wired alarm.

Possibly the insurance companies may object.

• 3 weeks later...

Guess I'll be replacing two existing mains powered hall smoke alarms (with battery backup, but probably without an existing interlink) with new ones - plus the additional sensors now mandatory in the kitchen and lounge.

Any product recommendations if forced to go down the RF route? Looks like the Aico range would require buying multiple RF modules which would get pricy...

• 7 months later...

Just to bump this topic again.

We're about to rent out our house as a holiday let. There are regulations coming along soon which I think will bring FHL in to line with other rentals and new builds, so rather than wait and see we're going to fit the required alarms.

As I understand it we will need a smoke alarm in the living room, another in the hallway, and a heat alarm in the kitchen. We will also need a CO alarm in the living room as there is a woodburner in there. The CO alarm does not need to be linked to the others (but I presume it still needs to be either mains powered or tamper-proof battery).

The house is a bungalow so access above the ceiling is excellent. I was going to fit this pack:

https://www.firedetectionshop.co.uk/shop-by-brand/fireangel/fireangel-domestic-smoke-and-heat-multi-packs/fireangel-economy-mains-powered-detector-multi-pack/?gclid=CjwKCAjwlYCHBhAQEiwA4K21m6Bggl2xQOBhFEL_9tv1k7Xi6mj3KpRpt48QY9ixpuJuan4BldgzgBoCwfUQAvD_BwE

Just wondering if certain types are approved or not, don't want to waste money. Power would come from the lighting circuit junction box.

1 hour ago, MikeSharp01 said:

I had a look and they have a good explanation - from their point of view naturally, of the new Scottish regs. https://www.aico.co.uk/scottish-legislation/

Thanks, this and every other source I've seen just says mains interlinked. No reference to anything like a BS/EN number. I'm going to guess that so long as whatever I buy is from a reputable maker it should be ok.