Log burner price differences

MiriPiri

Hi, I’m thinking of getting a double sided log burner, but the prices seem to vary enormously. I’ve seen 2 I like, that have the same output, with 1 costing over £1,000 more than the other.

Does the difference in cost refer to quality or are you paying extra for the name? Any advice be be great please.

Quality of steel, quality of castings, design for a clean burn etc, all play into pricing. Check the steel thicknesses and also where they are sourcing from. A lot of the cheaper ones use Chinese steel, a substantial amount of which isn’t high grade and is recycled and will probably fail much earlier than one with European or U.K. made steel plate. 

In some instances you do pay for a name but it can be worth it in the long run. 

The main "problem" with any wood burner is cleaning, particularly the glass and some seem to make the glass dirty much faster than others. The stove in our living room needs cleaning before every use whereas the Clearview stove elsewhere can go 5-7 days despite burning the same logs. So I would look for reviews that mention this.

We have a Mednip stoves Churchill (single sided, they do a double sider but you won't like the price) And I have never needed to clean the glass.  It is genuinely the first stove i have known to stay clear all on it's own.

• Like 2

PS: if you are in a smokeless zone you will/should be sold a wood burner designed for smokeless zones. Typically these have a mechanical stop which prevents the airflow being turned down as far as you may want. This can cause them to burn a bit too fast compared to standard models. If offered the choice go for the standard version and keep the air vents wide open during start up to minimise smoke.

Just now, ProDave said:

We have a Mednip stoves Churchill (single sided, they do a double sider but you won't like the price) And I have never needed to clean the glass.  It is genuinely the first stove i have known to stay clear all on it's own.

I'd pay extra for that! 

15 minutes ago, ProDave said:

The Mendip is the expensive one that I like. The Ecosy was the cheap one. Both are supposed to keep the glass clear. Both seam really good to me except for the Mindip’s price tag.

Edited by MiriPiri

21 minutes ago, Thedreamer said:

I went with a Charnwood C-4, really pleased with how it is performing.

Of the three stoves I have had, the C4 is my favourite. It just works. Glass stays clear unless you throttle back too much.

I also have a Burley which is a much cleverer design, supposedly the most efficient stove you can buy- but far fussier in actual use. Probably something to do with the installation, but I do wonder if squeezing the last few percent out of the combustion process has some drawbacks. A bit like a modern diesel car...

32 minutes ago, Crofter said:

Of the three stoves I have had, the C4 is my favourite. It just works. Glass stays clear unless you throttle back too much.

I also have a Burley which is a much cleverer design, supposedly the most efficient stove you can buy- but far fussier in actual use. Probably something to do with the installation, but I do wonder if squeezing the last few percent out of the combustion process has some drawbacks. A bit like a modern diesel car...

Yes nice and clear at the moment. I don't know what it is putting out in terms of Kws but it heats the entire house for a crazy amount of time.