Tesla going in today !

Pocster

1 hour ago, Dan F said:

@pocster Do you plan to try to control it in any way, or just let it do it's own think and guess when to charge? 

Linked to octopus energy agile tariff ( once my meters updated ) means I can charge it at cheapest rate if need be . Also an EV due next year . So a combination of cheap lecky / pv and charging battery at suitable times I hope to benefit . 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

Linked to octopus energy agile tariff

How exactly do you plan to "link" it though, given Telsa don't document/support any offcial API?  Using the unofficial API or some third-party app?

We plan to install a battery sometime in the new year, but the inability to easily control the Powerwall programatically is really putting me off.  That said, the Victron alternative is more expensive, more complex and takes up more room in the garage.

Edited by Dan F
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dan F said:

How exactly do you plan to "link" it though, given Telsa don't document/support any offcial API?  Using the unofficial API or some third-party app?

We plan to install a battery sometime in the new year, but the inability to easily control the Powerwall programatically is really putting me off.  That said, the Victron alternative is more expensive, more complex and takes up more room in the garage.

Ok !

It’s all a bit confusing at the moment !

Afaik the only way to adjust the pw2 charge using agile is with custom code or a plug-in type affair for your HA .

There are EV chargers that follow agile like zappi2 and I believe Andersen later this year . So I’m kind of a bit ahead of the curve here ? . As I’m the only one on site even limited PV will provide me enough for a few lights and a radio .

Just now, pocster said:

Afaik the only way to adjust the pw2 charge using agile is with custom code or a plug-in type affair for your HA .

Approaches I know of (none ideal IMO) are:

1) Manually switch Powerwall between modes based on Octupus pricing.

2) Use https://nureauwocket.com/Agile/ (includes handing over your Tesla credentials)

3) Code something using unofficial API https://github.com/vloschiavo/powerwall2. (you need to force reboot to make changes take affect though it seems)

4) Find a HA plugin that uses unofficial API.

Please share anything else you might find.  Clearly the issue with using something unsupported is that it can change and or go away if Tesla make changes..

2 minutes ago, Dan F said:

Approaches I know of (none ideal IMO) are:

1) Manually switch Powerwall between modes based on Octupus pricing.

2) Use https://nureauwocket.com/Agile/ (includes handing over your Tesla credentials)

3) Code something using unofficial API https://github.com/vloschiavo/powerwall2. (you need to force reboot to make changes take affect though it seems)

4) Find a HA plugin that uses unofficial API.

Please share anything else you might find.  Clearly the issue with using something unsupported is that it can change and or go away if Tesla make changes..

Sure thing !

I understand exactly what you want as it’s the same as me . My assumption is a decent HA plug-in will appear or as octopus has a specific Tesla battery tariff - they’ll work together and add a nice ‘agile’ option in the app . I jumped in a bit early I admit - but it’s all coming ?

Edited by pocster

1 hour ago, pocster said:

There are EV chargers that follow agile like zappi2 and I believe Andersen later this year . So I’m kind of a bit ahead of the curve here ?

You really are a marketeers dream aren’t you ..??    They said smart meters were coming back in 2007 and it took 10 years before anything really developed. Even the tariffs today are limited...!! 

At this rate you’ll have an Octopus Agile tariff to charge the wall and the car, just in time to drive down to @Onoff for the official opening of the bathroom ..... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

You really are a marketeers dream aren’t you ..??    They said smart meters were coming back in 2007 and it took 10 years before anything really developed. Even the tariffs today are limited...!! 

At this rate you’ll have an Octopus Agile tariff to charge the wall and the car, just in time to drive down to @Onoff for the official opening of the bathroom ..... 

@Onoff ‘s bathroom will be finished that soon ? ?

• Haha 1

So let me get this right?

you are going to charge the Tesla at Agile's cheapest rate (which may be £0 or even negative) and discharge it when Agile would charge you silly money,

Can I see your costings please?  Estimated average daily "saving" (compared to just having an ordinary tariff and just paying the same for what you use at any time of day)

And compare that to the cost of the Tesla so I can wotk out the pay back time.

12 minutes ago, ProDave said:

So let me get this right?

you are going to charge the Tesla at Agile's cheapest rate (which may be £0 or even negative) and discharge it when Agile would charge you silly money,

Can I see your costings please?  Estimated average daily "saving" (compared to just having an ordinary tariff and just paying the same for what you use at any time of day)

And compare that to the cost of the Tesla so I can wotk out the pay back time.

Here we go ! I was waiting for this !

But if I go and buy a 50k Tesla car it’s all great ? Roi etc .

Buy expensive car nobody cares . Buy pv or a battery everyone wants to point out what a false economy it is .

Why does ANYONE buy a Tesla battery then ? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pocster said:

Buy expensive car nobody cares . Buy pv or a battery everyone wants to point out what a false economy it is .

I'm on your side for this one @pocster! I'm not getting the PW2 for any sort of financial return. I want to reduce my reliance on the grid and store the electricity I generate during the day so I can use it at night.

I applaud you for your decision.

plus, get a model 3. I love mine. ?

• Thanks 1

Just now, pocster said:

Buy an EV and it's a car that gets you from A to B for a lower fuel cost than a petrol or diesel car.  It provides a service that you need.  Only the buyer can decide if the purchase price and expected depreciation makes it a better purchace than an IC car.  I have never disputed that.

But home batteries.  You need a reason to install them.  That might well be to save money on your electricity bills somehow. but every time I have played with the numbers, it is not financially viable.

So I am interested in your justification, perhaps I am missing something?

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Buy an EV and it's a car that gets you from A to B for a lower fuel cost than a petrol or diesel car.  It provides a service that you need.  Only the buyer can decide if the purchase price and expected depreciation makes it a better purchace than an IC car.  I have never disputed that.

But home batteries.  You need a reason to install them.  That might well be to save money on your electricity bills somehow. but every time I have played with the numbers, it is not financially viable.

So I am interested in your justification, perhaps I am missing something?

A new EV isn’t justifiable compared to a petrol car in most cases . Petrol car nice and cheap in comparison.

If I built my house solely on lowest cost I’d have single glazing , gas combi , less insulation , no glass balcony , no ASHP  etc etc etc

Lots of savings to be made !

But why ?

I have a chance to produce something better - losses less heat , costs less to heat , less co2 , a ‘better’ house , a nicer house - but yes ; it costs more .

BUT. - it’s all relevant to what my house is worth . This is the real key imho !

I’m trying to put in all the researched and viable technology I can whilst it’s easiest to install as its a new build .

I go on really expensive holidays . Why ? Because they are really nice !

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, pocster said:

I go on really expensive holidays . Why ? Because they are really nice !

At the end of the day it's what makes you tick and makes you HAPPY! Kudos.

I was told to get an Impey wet room former. I didn't and got loads of satisfaction out of making my own former. (Best bit of tiling in the bathroom but that's another story). I researched it and came up with a freaky concrete mix that worked. What a lot of work my wall drain was. I LIKE IT. 

I build a solar water heater from scrap yet some derided it. No arguing with the temperatures it achieved.

You're going to drown in your own leaky basement but it'll be all your own work! ?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Onoff said:

At the end of the day it's what makes you tick and makes you HAPPY! Kudos.

I was told to get an Impey wet room former. I didn't and got loads of satisfaction out of making my own former. (Best bit of tiling in the bathroom but that's another story). I researched it and came up with a freaky concrete mix that worked. What a lot of work my wall drain was. I LIKE IT. 

I build a solar water heater from scrap yet some derided it. No arguing with the temperatures it achieved.

You're going to drown in your own leaky basement but it'll be all your own work! ?

It’s hardly ever about the money . It’s the satisfaction of what you do ; be it make a shower former or shove some pv panels on .

Ultimately we ALL have to try and save the planet by generating green energy and using it efficiently.

I’m hardly a trend setter - pw1 people were that . I like to see the technology mature a bit then jump in . Whilst the market is tiny it is growing . Saving the planet bit by bit ! ???

• Like 4