Stove Hearth/Chamber Inspiration

We are reusing the perfectly fine stove that came with the house, although the canopy makes it quite old fashioned our budget didn't stretch to a new stove. It's this Clearviee one (we are replacing the brass fittings with chrome ones):

c_Clearview_Vision_500_Low_Canopy_Temp_Control_(1).thumb.jpg.ff4c2398dd7a985e3dfbf4630012a159.jpg

We have been quoted around £550 for a T shaped piece of granite so that's pretty much out.

16031147992373880377992563183001.thumb.jpg.0395e81a08868ec52f62b39082492780.jpg

We do need to come up with a budget friendly solution of what to put on the hearth and around the walls inside. Any suggestions please?

I haven't yet located building regs so should we be looking at a particular material to use and what is allowed/not allowed.

IMG_20201018_160318.thumb.jpg.8178b731b4d3861458b22dc22ebc67cb.jpg

Clear view stoves are great as far as I’m concerned, so you are on to a winner already. 

Depends on what style house you have. Tiles? Flag stones, paving slabs, polished concrete, toughened glass, are all options I have seen before. 
maybe look for a stone / granite worktop off cut?

Quick question... what are the dimensions of the fire place and the stove? Have you allowed for enough clearance as per the installation instructions? 

what are you planning on lining the inside of the fire place with? Best not to have plaster as it will get baked and blow. 

IIRC with stoves that sit up on legs you can get away with as thin as 12mm for the hearth. Lots of options, but insisting on a single piece of anything without joins will make the price skyrocket.

We were going to go with tempered glass, but it was a bit pricey. Then looked up slate from Topps Tiles, who steered us towards a slate-effect porcelain tile instead. Much cheaper, and they said it was less liable to staining from ash spills. We had to have a join in it but you don't really see that.

For lining the inside of the fireplace it's hard to beat tile. Slim, easy to work with, cheap. And of course totally fireproof.

38 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

Clear view stoves are great as far as I’m concerned, so you are on to a winner already. 

Yep, everyone we have spoken to raves about them and we have a Clearview shop a couple of miles away and they are so helpful.

Our floor will be LVT gluedown tiles.

34 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

Have you allowed for enough clearance as per the installation instructions? 

Yep, builder sorted this and checked.

34 minutes ago, Gav_P said:

what are you planning on lining the inside of the fire place with? Best not to have plaster as it will get baked and blow.

This is what we are struggling to decide what to put inside and also on the hearth too.

33 minutes ago, Crofter said:

For lining the inside of the fireplace it's hard to beat tile. Slim, easy to work with, cheap. And of course totally fireproof.

Is there a particular tile we should be looking at for inside? Do you have to have a particular kind of tile to meet building regs?

26 minutes ago, PeterW said:

You will get differential expansion and potential cracking with one piece so I would go with two or three pieces anyway. 

I'll check them out so probably look at two pieces then? Still think granite will be way out of our budget.

3 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

Can I ask what was suggested, do you have a link? Are you using these inside too?

I'm afraid I can't remember the exact tile- it was three or four years ago now- but I think pretty much any tile would do.

We didn't have an 'inside' as the stove is free-standing, although I have tiled the inside of a fireplace in a previous house and that was fine.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

So we have got some tiles for the inside of our fireplace from Porcelanoso which are kind of like silver triangle looking things. 

IMG_20201030_152441.thumb.jpg.89feaccb70bc95d443f9588f70acf44d.jpg

We need some form of slate now, granite is too expensive. Our builder has suggested seeing if we can get our hands on some snooker table slate and he can get it cut and polished by the local gravestone guy for about £40 and then with it sealed he says it looks really smart. I think the snooker table slate is around £140 delivered. Has anyone used this? 

I went to visit a stone mason and asked if he had any offcuts of black granite. We found some kitchen worktop loffcuts eaning up against fence all covered in mud, cleaned up and with the gloss honed off it looks great under our stove.

7 minutes ago, Temp said:

I went to visit a stone mason and asked if he had any offcuts of black granite. We found some kitchen worktop loffcuts eaning up against fence all covered in mud, cleaned up and with the gloss honed off it looks great under our stove.

We've tried a couple now and prices are just ridiculous for granite as we would need quite a large area for a T piece. We did toy with an idea of getting off cuts but then to cut and polish them out stone masons were charging quite high prices as well.

There is quite a lot of reclaimed/second hand black granite worktops on the web but I guess finding a big enough piece might be difficult. I've never tried cutting it myself but there are youtube vids.

10 minutes ago, Temp said:

My builder put me off slate saying it scratched easily. 

Oh dear not good.

9 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Black Limestone can be as good if not better than slate and isn’t expensive at all. 

Do you have a link to anywhere to buy it?

4 minutes ago, Temp said:

There is quite a lot of reclaimed/second hand black granite worktops on the web but I guess finding a big enough piece might be difficult.

This is the issue. If we find a piece it's getting it delivered as the size/weight is an issue and then any cutting and polishing of it is what costs a fair bit.

On 19/10/2020 at 14:40, canalsiderenovation said:

I haven't yet located building regs

It's Approved Document J you want. Any number of stove sites try and break it down into easy to read requirements like this:

https://www.woodburnerwarehouse.co.uk/building-regulations#:~:text=A stove must stand on,be at least 250mm thick.

On 01/11/2020 at 14:23, canalsiderenovation said:

Sorry I didn't mean for you to do the Google search, I just meant somewhere you'd recommend/used?

Sorry ..! Hoyland are good, meant to put do a quick google search for them ..! Black limestone looks lovely, you can polish it with a coating that can make Matt or shiny. 

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Sorry ..! Hoyland are good, meant to put do a quick google search for them ..! Black limestone looks lovely, you can polish it with a coating that can make Matt or shiny. 

Thanks. A bit worried about the heat and limestone. I think we may stick with the slate snooker table option and get it cut and polished which seems to be reasonably priced. 

Limestone is very heat resistant ..!  Your stove will also only get to 100c at most on the base - you’re not building a constructional hearth. 

If you want something different then soapstone is reasonably priced and looks good.