Antifreeze for ASHP - which and how much

Roz

Hi guys

We're getting our air source heat pump installed next week, you can buy an installation kit to go with it which includes antifreeze, but as we don't need some of the other stuff it comes with as we already have it, I am looking at getting things separately in case it works out financially.

I can see the antifreeze in the kit is HP-5c 25l. 

It comes as 25L in the kit but how do I know if I need this much? The flow and return pipes are about 6-7 m long each if that helps. 

When I look this up it also brings up HP-5 which is a lot cheaper - anyone any idea of the difference? 

thanks and I know I should ask the guy installing it but he is not very chatty so thought I would do some groundwork... 

19 hours ago, PeterW said:

Buffer ..? UFH loop lengths..? Any other components in the ASHP primary circuit ..?

Sorry I didn't see your reply!

theUFH loops are about 180m total 

The kit in question comes with a 12L expansion vessel and the telford tempest tank came with a buffer too I think

The ASHP just goes to the UFH and the UVC. The manifold for the UFH is basically right next to the ASHP and the UVC is about 6-7m away in pipe length

thanks!!

p.s. I just noticed on a spec from city plumbing for the Daikin (which doesnt come with this kit as the kit is for the grant) they speced 10L of glycol but not sure which one

Edited by Roz

20 hours ago, PeterW said:

Buffer ..? UFH loop lengths..? Any other components in the ASHP primary circuit ..?

I might be taking this off topic but I am actually not sure about whether we have or need a buffer. 

The list required for the Daikin includes solfex 18 litre intermediate vessel, the Kit for the grant either just includes the Grant sealed system kit or this plus a 30 litre buffer. 

We don't have much space for buffers if we dont need them. I think I was told that the Daikin doesn't need a buffer due to different set up but this could have been about something else, and that the buffers are about water temperature not dropping during defrost?

Edited by Roz