Electric boiler

deuce22

Hi.

I'm building a large detached garage to move into, whilst continuing the house build and I'm contemplating installing an electric boiler instead of gas. There will be a bath and shower, as well as 5 radiators.

Has anybody had any experience with an electric boiler? Are they good enough?

Thanks.

I have never seen the point of an electric boiler to heat water using peak rate electricity to pipe it around into radiators to heat a room.

Capital costs and running costs will be lower just by using electric panel heaters for the space heating.

Have you thought about an air source heat pump?

53 minutes ago, deuce22 said:

I'm building a large detached garage to move into

?

You're building this from scratch, or it's a garage conversion?

What is it next to? An existing residential dwelling? Can you T off the gas supply if so, even if it's to a second meter?

If you're building this from scratch then I'd get a good 200mm of PIR insulation over the slab, more if possible, and then get a super cheap ASHP and heat via UFH in the screed. A lot depends on how best to attack this, like how long you'll be living there, or if you intend to live there then let it out etc etc.

If it's OK to fit bigger radiators into, then the ASHP could heat those instead ( cheap and quick ) and then you wouldn't need any screed over the insulation, or UFH pipes.

Electric shower is a no-brainer, but what is happening for an independent electricity supply? You cannot max out a connection to the existing dwelling by making the "garage" all electric / instant water heating without doing the sums first.

Gas supply?

Electric supply?

Water supply?

Details please!! 

10 minutes ago, Temp said:

Electricity is about 3-4 times the cost of gas per kWh. If there is a gas supply direct electric heating makes little sense apart from installation cost. 

We just need to know if these dwellings ( assume house adjacent if garage is mentioned ) will be married, or separate titles and deeds at any point too. Far too little detail available atm...

Ok. I didn't go into to much detail as I didn't think you'd be interested.

I'm building a house and detached garage and I'm currently living on site in a static caravan. The plan was to move into the garage, remove the caravan and then spend the next 18 months building the house. The mains gas will be connected directly to the house, but that won't be until I've got the main structure up and the caravan gone (because it is in the way). That will probably take me about another 4 months, so was thinking of an alternative.

The garage has an upstairs, which will be converted into a one bed accommodation and once I'm in the house will only be used intermittently throughout the year. The other idea was to install a gas boiler and run it off gas bottles, until I get the mains installed.