Getting large bits of glass up onto a roof

thomas

Make an OSB box for it and wrap it in towels with cardboard and hardboard corners for 'transporting'. 

If you get two tower scaffolds set up 'staggered' accordingly then you'll be able to get it up there, just make sure that you, your mates and the unit don't exceed the max working weight. 

Failing that, a pair of skids made out of 9"x3" 's and some lashing points for strong ropes. 

If the Egyptians can do it so can you :)

Dont forgot some timbers on the roof as skids if you've got final coverings on ( slates etc ).  

2 hours ago, thomas said:

I have a fairly large bit of glass 1800x1700mm to get up onto my roof, it's 6mm so it weights about 90kg. Has anyone got any suggestions on how to get it up there? Roof height is about 3 meters.

Flat...? Sloping ..? What's the frame ..??

Usually anything that size is already framed (and as a minimum double glazed) and assuming its 6.4mm then it's laminated glass. The frame adds a lot of rigidity and then bonding to a second sheet makes it even more rigid. 

The key with any glass is protect the corners as that is where it is most fragile. The cheap way would be to do as @Nickfromwales says and create a box and slide it up onto the roof, the costly way is either a crane or telehandler with rotating vacuum heads

## Just thinking about that size it must be a double glazed unit as glass is around 2.5kg/mm/m2 which would make that about 40kg for a single sheet. 

Edited by PeterW
Glass weight

You can also rent a glass hoist, like a panel hoist but with suckers attached. Just type 'glass hoist' in to google and loads of pictures will come up. Certainly cheaper than a crane!

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

A couple of ladders laid at an angle and winch/haul it up on a sheet with a lip. Timber guidd on the board. Ratchet strap round the whole lot until the last moment.

I know this is how some of the guys I know get solar panels onto a roof. I can't help feel the glass hoist would be the easier/safer bet

9 minutes ago, Trw144 said:

I know this is how some of the guys I know get solar panels onto a roof. I can't help feel the glass hoist would be the easier/safer bet

Fully agree unless the OPs trying to save a few quid. If you're going to go "off the reservation" lifting anything you really need to be au fait with how to do things properly in the first place in order to adapt. I'll openly admit to having gone the "needs must" route in my younger years.

Heaviest pane of glass I've been involved with changing is 540kg, 14 floors up.

Thanks for all the input, I think I'll make a box out of osb and see if I can get a builders merchant wagon to lift it up for me on his hiab. Wish I had make the size slightly smaller than a pallet though, would have saved me some work.

I am pretty tight when it comes to these things and i worry if I hire a material lift I will just be messing around trying to get it to fit on.

It's a stepped unit for a skylight to fit on a nearly flat roof, 6.4-16-6 with a 100mm step all the way around the edge, I am worried as it will be quite fragile because of the lip.

Edited by thomas
More details

Ok I would be very careful lifting that ..!!

Make a box that can be lowered in height from the inside - hire a Speedy Lift and build something from timber but brace EVERYTHING ..! Couple of sheets of DPM on top of the box as a slip membrane then lower it from below very carefully. 

If you lift it by the step you could either snap the edge or delaminate the unit as you are relying on glue to hold 45kg of glass up ...

8 hours ago, thomas said:

Thanks for all the input, I think I'll make a box out of osb and see if I can get a builders merchant wagon to lift it up for me on his hiab. Wish I had make the size slightly smaller than a pallet though, would have saved me some work.

I am pretty tight when it comes to these things and i worry if I hire a material lift I will just be messing around trying to get it to fit on.

It's a stepped unit for a skylight to fit on a nearly flat roof, 6.4-16-6 with a 100mm step all the way around the edge, I am worried as it will be quite fragile because of the lip.

I m with you on the tightness - on mine it cost £400 for the crane (I had to hire it for the full day). I did use it to lift a skylight and the solar panels onto both properties.