Hello

Bonner

Hi Folks, I would like to introduce myself as a recent new member of the forum. I am a first time self builder and former (reformed!) serial renovator.  
We have just submitted reserved matters app for a 4/5 bed, 250sq.m two storey house in rural Lincolnshire. Off mains gas so probably going for ASHP and maybe MHRV. Looking to live in it for 3-5 years then move on, hence the ‘maybe’ for MHRV. Not sure we would get the benefit, or if it would add value when we come to sell (thoughts anyone?)
The planners will probably insist on some stone facing so probably going down the traditional masonry route, also for cost reasons. Expecting to use a main contractor for the shell+first fix then finish off with individual trades. Still working full time so will stick to planning, sourcing and project management rather than hindering progress with DIY.
I am interested in alternative build methods such as ICF but need to keep take care of cost/value as property prices are relatively low in this part of the country.
Would be interested to hear from others who are building in the area with any local knowledge of suppliers, utilities, trades etc. 
Looking forward to sharing experiences!

Hello Bonnar.

Cost /value ..Your post is interesting and also I think relevant to the typical self builder / home extender on this site, thank you. Please excuse the lack of formality.. and my spelling,

Firstly, there are a few posts on this forum from folk who have been asking how much of an uplift (extra profit, or value) they will get if they do something along the lines of "Passive House", i.e a well insulated house, ICF that keeps the energy bills down, while also, if you are inclined, to contribute to the environment.

I'm a follower of looking at the overall carbon footprint, more than " whole of design life footprint etc" which makes me a bit of a heretic in that part of the commercial world. In other words, I don't accept  narrow definition.

Some self builders/ habitual developers want to not go to full "passive" registration but want to "equal" it to some extent. They also want to see if they can get an uplift on the sale price on the basis that it is an "eco" type house. I'll include here repeat self builders who are doing this as way of income rather than a one off "forever home"

If you search on this site there are a few really experienced folk that say.. you may not get your money back on the full if eco route if you sell on. I agree with this as the average purchaser has a life to run, and they are not bothered that much about the "leccy" bill as compared to the sky footy sub, it's just another cost. Yes they would like to buy an "eco" & "Architecturally designed house" to keep up with their pals, but how much uplift will they pay for the environmental credential?

It makes sense to me that commercial developers as well as self builders will be here on this site, or at least monitoring it and looking ahead.  ICF is still a small niche market, but it's not yet a volume market.

Funnily, in terms of Structural Enginnering most of it is pinched and adapted from commercial design, say cold stores and Canadian/ American  permafrost design - reversed and tweaked, and a few bits of other stuff. In Engineering terms we are not reinventing the wheel here in terms of ICF and ground bearing slabs, it's often just presented on a fancy web site with good graphics. This cost will come down in the future no doubt.

Any good developer looks to the future, self builder's want to save on their energy bills, some on their carbon footprint and so on. It's all to play for here.

In summary Bonnar, you're onto a good thing but I would not hang my coat (too shoogly a peg) on the value that ICF is going to bring to the property when you look ahead to sell at this stage, rather , concentrate on what value it brings to you and your family, and that you are in a cosy castle you built yourself, anything else is a bonus. Look at all the alterantive structural options in the coldlight of day, wiegh it up and as you already probably know the solution will stare you in the face!

Clearly there is a drive to reducing our carbon footprint - U values etc . COVID has stalled legislation on tighter U value to some extent, but it will come. Often to effect change you need to show folk where the money is..sites like Buildhub actually are providing a lot of free market research for developers, and they lobby the government.

To me the energy performance regulations will become more stringent. In Scotland they are a bit more onerous but that change took years to effect. It will come at some point down South but it wil take few years to actually get written into the building regulations.

To finish Bonnar.  I would say concentate on you own home first, your castle, then if all goes well then by all means look at doing it to "make a living" if you make a good job of it then it will provide more equity to fund a development  business?

All the best.

If you seriously intend to sell in 3-5 years I would go. 

Timberframe on insulated slab, insulation levels higher than building regs, brick or stone skin on the outer, 

anything unusual will be harder to sell, we are a nation of people who like the idea of all this fancy design stuff, but end up buying a red brick tile roof boring box churned out by mass house builders, they cannot build them quickly enough. 

Save the fancy stuff for the place you want to stay in. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your comments, they are certainly thought provoking. It seems there is no set formula for self build as we are all unique, as well as the locations and our circumstances. Hence the plethora of discussions about every aspect of the process on this forum. I have some thinking to do and choices to make ?