Sheet Piling Cost

Internet Know How

How do you plan to get them back out ..?? Surely you are better off putting them in and leaving them in - just get the tops cut off and cast a concrete footing on top and use it as the base of a wall. 

You could budget around the £200/sqm for sheet pile so you’re about the £10k mark for it installed depending on ground conditions. 

57 minutes ago, PeterW said:

How do you plan to get them back out ..?? Surely you are better off putting them in and leaving them in - just get the tops cut off and cast a concrete footing on top and use it as the base of a wall. 

You could budget around the £200/sqm for sheet pile so you’re about the £10k mark for it installed depending on ground conditions. 

Hi Peter, yes could always purchase and leave them in. There is an extractor that can be used to remove them. If they stay in, cost goes up as they are about 7k for 90x6m lengths

4 minutes ago, Internet Know How said:

Hi Peter, yes could always purchase and leave them in. There is an extractor that can be used to remove them. If they stay in, cost goes up as they are about 7k for 90x6m lengths

Yep but my question was how will you get them out as you can’t sit a 12 tonne excavator on top of a basement roof ..?? If you are having to put them on to build up to the edge of the plot then how will you get the machinery in to get them out ..?

Just now, PeterW said:

Yep but my question was how will you get them out as you can’t sit a 12 tonne excavator on top of a basement roof ..?? If you are having to put them on to build up to the edge of the plot then how will you get the machinery in to get them out ..?

We will have hollowcore concrete floors, but even so, might not take the weight of a 12 tonne machine. May need a large machine with good reach from the road.

3 minutes ago, LA3222 said:

Am I just missing the obvious? Surely a days crane hire will have them out easy enough at far less cost than purchasing outright??

To do a contract lift you would need to know the load. How you would accurately calculate the loading of the ground “grip” plus the sheet and friction of the next pile would mean you would end up with a very big crane to ensure a safe lift. 

Temporary sheet piling is normally done for cofferdams and whilst retaining walls are built, and really where you have the access to drive and remove easily. 

TBH with this I would just drive lines of concrete piles and leave them in situ and then cast around them for the retaining basement walls. 

1 minute ago, PeterW said:

To do a contract lift you would need to know the load. How you would accurately calculate the loading of the ground “grip” plus the sheet and friction of the next pile would mean you would end up with a very big crane to ensure a safe lift. 

Temporary sheet piling is normally done for cofferdams and whilst retaining walls are built, and really where you have the access to drive and remove easily. 

TBH with this I would just drive lines of concrete piles and leave them in situ and then cast around them for the retaining basement walls. 

Ah, I see -  not so straightforward then. I will admit my knowledge of basements is nil, I toyed with the idea, dismissed it so left it at that. It seems there are many ways to skin the cat and the only way to work out whats best is to work with an engineer and cost the options up so you can compare them against each other.