My (rotten) ASHP. Update.

zoothorn

16 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Understood. So if my low pressure issue, & this new issue I didn't even know was an issue until you said so, is connected with the installation of anything -other- than the new pump, I fully take your point that the installers should be those who come back & fix it.

But ProDave how can this dribbling -not- be connected to the new pump install, if, it only happened as soon as it was fitted & not before tho? pure coincidence?

I am struggling to understand what actually happened here.

You had a new heating system installed or so you say, with new radiators, new pipes, a new hot water tank and a new air source heat pump. 

It has NEVER been quite right, the noise issue and this losing pressure issue(s)

So get the INSTALLER back to fix it.  What is difficult about that? 

21 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I am struggling to understand what actually happened here.

You had a new heating system installed or so you say, with new radiators, new pipes, a new hot water tank and a new air source heat pump. 

It has NEVER been quite right, the noise issue and this losing pressure issue(s)

So get the INSTALLER back to fix it.  What is difficult about that? 

ProDave, did the installer fit the new pump? if not who did?

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, ProDave said:

How should I know, I was not there?  If you don't know, nobody does.

Haha!

No, I mean Ive been saying repeatedly, that there was a problem (main BIG prob- noise) & it was fixed by Vaillant fitting a new pump (well 1/2 the noise prob fixed, the remainder from the compressor still to be addressed).

There was a prob & the installers didn't fix it. I called Vaillant & they fixed it.. then.. it starts doing its big dribbles already.

How can I demand the installers back to fix this-?

2 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

because they installed the whole system.

Ok I suppose.. tho seems a bit odd to me if it no dribbles before the vaillant engineer faffed with it.

So, if I were to email my installers.. what to say/ just its dribbling alot, pls fix? (they'll say 'that's to be expected after new pump' I'm sure).

12 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Yes just call the installers back. Don't even mention Vailant replaced part of the HP.  That will not have cause the loss of pressure and dribbling tundish issues.

Ah understood, but installers fully aware Vailant changed pump. I had to take the reins & call Vailant/ disturbing sleeping isn't something I could wait on installers to stall on.

Ok I can call them anyway about this- there are a few things I need tidying up tbh. Hole in outside wall left unfilled, some old wiring near cylinder not properly tucked away. I can also ask on the compressor noise too: if my spare bedroom is unuseable now, that's gotta be an issue itself.

6 hours ago, Temp said:

In my limited experience I have found that Pressure Relief Valves (PRV) are fragile temperamental things. If the pressure goes up too high just once (so that a little water comes out) then they can start leaking all the time. Not quite sure why but I've had at least three or four do that. So if you get the PRV replaced and need to pressurise the system yourself in future be careful not to go so high that the PRV opens.

It's usually due to a bit of crud on the valve face or it not seating quite right having passed. A blast through from a fully open valve (eg turning the valve beyond it opening fully and allowing the spring to slam the valve back in place) should usually restore order.

9 hours ago, MJNewton said:

It's usually due to a bit of crud on the valve face or it not seating quite right having passed. A blast through from a fully open valve (eg turning the valve beyond it opening fully and allowing the spring to slam the valve back in place) should usually restore order.

One of the reasons Ive been inclined to contact vailant on this noise, altho told by installers to get back to them 1st (I have done mostly), is the feeling that altho installers competant -they do nothing but these arotherm installs one after another/ so are good at fitting- they don't seem experienced in the workings. 2 young chaps in 20's, each with a team of even younger trainees = coke bottles to tidy up, grubby walls, grubby carpets etc. I asked what was in the high pressure pipes for eg, "erm.. I think gas is it?".

So Im confident if I put these technical points to them, they'd be scratching their heads going thru manuals avoiding reply. The vailant engineer(s) were what you'd hoped turn up: in their 50's, highly pro, very experienced in the workings & if I put these points to them.. they'd have answers (more akin to yourself MJN & ProDave discussing here: impressive knowledge btw).

Many thanks for your input- zoot.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Perhaps it's time just to bite the bullet and pay a different, competent plumber to come and sort the niggles if you are convinced the supplier can help no more and are not prepared to fight with them?

No way not at current plumber rates. I just have to form a plan to put to my installers, rather than demand, certainly not fight them if Steamy Tea's paid for it all. I'm still struggling to understand the dribbles at the mo: this only just sprung on me. They did suggest it -was- related to new pump & it would settle down, so I've got to wait &see if it subsides 1st. Then I can be a bit more forthright if it persists.

In the meantime its no longer a (rotten) ASHP now new pump in, & a huge difference thank god (& thx to Vailant I must say- no fuss, they just did it asap). So now its just a compressor-noisy ASHP, with teething issues let's say.

ProDave how many rads does yours run, & what kW is it?

20 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

They did suggest it -was- related to new pump & it would settle down, so I've got to wait &see if it subsides 1st.

I think there's been a misunderstanding along the way somewhere.

A new pump (or radiator, or any other invasive bit of work) could indeed result in pressure loss for a period whilst you bleed out any air that was inevitably introduced (from the work itself and the fresh water added afterwards). However, a new pump would *not* cause the PRV to pass water. That is, or represents the existence of, a fault and so I would be getting the installers (of the system) to come and take a look at that.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, MJNewton said:

A new pump (or radiator, or any other invasive bit of work) could indeed result in pressure loss for a period whilst you bleed out any air that was inevitably introduced (from the work itself and the fresh water added afterwards). However, a new pump would *not* cause the PRV to pass water. That is, or represents the existence of, a fault and so I would be getting the installers (of the system) to come and take a look at that.

Nail hit on the head.  Just pester those installers until they come back and fix it.

3 hours ago, MJNewton said:

Hi MJN- ok understood, & I think this is the info condensed enough that I can now pass on to installers, thanks for this.

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Refresh all our memories.

Did you already have a wet system in and when the ASHP was fitted this pressure/water loss first started.

Or did you already have to repressurise the system before the ASHP was first installed.

I simply had an immersion tank feeding a bath, 2 sinks. No rads/ no CH.

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

It goes off at 9PM and comes back on at 6AM

.. as seems perfectly normal. So do you set the thermostat to very low overnight in order to achieve this? And do you have to wait an extra hr in morning to allow it to get up to speed from this idle state, so like 2 hrs until you feel room warming-?

Mine seems to just not be designed to be used like this.