Window board/ledge/cill - White

canalsiderenovation

Our builder has asked us to consider which window boards we want inside. We have no idea, as long as they are white as our uPVC aluclad windows from Internorm are white inside.

He mentioned MDF which has conjured up all sorts of images of Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen creating all sorts of monstrosities on Changing Rooms!

Any suggestions?

In the place I have just renovated I put PVC window cills in the rooms with taps, so the kitchen, util room, en-suite and bathroom. Dead easy to keep wipe down and clean and no painting. It was also only about £30 for 4.8M of it.

The rest of the cills are MDF.

In the last house I used wooden window boards that warped like bananas.  I wanted anything but that this time.

Most living rooms and bedrooms have window boards made of left over engineered oak floor boards.

Bathrooms have window boards made from offcuts of multipanel.

Kitchen has granite window cill to match worktop and a granite upstand

Utility room has a slate tiled window cill using left overs from the slate floor tiles.

@ProDave what window boards warped? Were these MDF?

1 hour ago, Roys said:

In the place I have just renovated I put PVC window cills in the rooms with taps, so the kitchen, util room, en-suite and bathroom.

I hardly see PVC mentioned here. Is there a reason? My parents have them and they have scratched badly.

I know a friend who had granite to match her worktop (black). I suspect these may be quite expensive (10 required) and I'm not sure how they would look given we won't have granite in other rooms. It would also need to be quite neutral against the white.

Just now, canalsiderenovation said:

I've never heard of Duraboard, this looks good. So you don't have to paint it?

No its pre finished. If you've ever had laminate worktops, its basically just the same as that, but not as thick. Can send some photos of mine if you want?