Hi!

SimonD

Hi, as a new member, I'm just introducing myself to the forum. I've done a bit of lurking on the forums on the odd occasion as threads have come up in search results for me over the last year or so and I finally thought it was time to actually join up.

I've been building a house on my own. It's part renovation/conversion, part new build with a total area just over 200sqm. The renovation/conversion is 1920s brick & brick, and some brick & block, or shall I say what was actually left of it once we scratched beneath the surface of the structure - all soon to be covered in woodfibre EWI & lime render. The new build part is mostly timber frame but a bit of a hybrid with a substantial steel structure amongst the glulams. The timber frame is all filled in and wrapped in sheeps wool and to be finished off with timber cladding. It's all built as a fully breathable wall system.

Roof is now on and I've just ordered the windows for delivery early December all being well.

I've never done this kind of thing before so it's been a major steep learning curve every single step of the way. It's been gruelling, interesting, and a but if a pig of a project because it has two curved & vaulted roofs with some flat roof in between. The architects detail drawings were all rubbish so I've had to work a lot of it out myself. Oh, and it's been fun too in parts ?

Covid has, like for many,  taken its toll in terms of progress so I'm well behind on my timeline, (the rain and storms last winter didn't help much either) but I've at least just installed the roof before winter and now getting the cladding on too.

Much to do still but I've attached some pictures of the build.

north elev.jpeg

south elev.JPG

timber_frame_souh_night.JPG

timber_frame_inside_1.JPG

DSC_0549.JPG

DSC_0545.JPG

timber_frame_inside_2.JPG

• Like 7

Thanks everyone for the compliments - sometimes when you're at it all the time on your own, you only see the problems, scruffy bits, or everything that still needs to be done!

On 20/10/2020 at 15:05, Jamie McNaught said:

Looks amazing! Are you blogging your build? Or just crashing each night on the sofa!

Thanks, So far I've just crashed at the end of the day, but I have recently started blogging as I've recorded so much of the build as it's progressed. It's certainly not chronological, mind you. You can find it at buildingalone.com

On 20/10/2020 at 15:55, Mr Punter said:

The metal roof looks very good indeed.  I am amazed you have the energy left for that punchbag!

Haha, yes looks weird but that was for my son to practise his Taekwondo during lockdown and summer holidays ?

On 19/10/2020 at 23:05, Adsibob said:

Great looking project! Post some more over the next phases of development.

Gladly, thanks