Total beginner

Kirsty

Hi All, We are at the very beginning of our self build journey. We’re trying to work out if we can even afford to do this at all?? We have seen a plot which is in our ideal location but it’s on a steepish slope so not sure if this will make building on it too expensive for us. We’re really just looking for any advice on where to start. Any particular threads that are worth a read or any book recommendations for a total novice? Thanks 

3 minutes ago, Kirsty said:

Hi All, We are at the very beginning of our self build journey. We’re trying to work out if we can even afford to do this at all?? We have seen a plot which is in our ideal location but it’s on a steepish slope so not sure if this will make building on it too expensive for us. We’re really just looking for any advice on where to start. Any particular threads that are worth a read or any book recommendations for a total novice? Thanks 

Home Builder's Bible, well worth a purchase.

On the slope there is actually a diagram in the book that suggests what extra % you pay when building on a sloping site.

Welcome aboard.  You are always going to have to take a bit of a view erring towards the worst case to be honest. 

The site we bought we purchased with the anticipation of piling - our SI was particularly favorable and we were able to do a deep strip.  Our engineers set the depth to 2.1m ( nightmare btw) but I asked BC on the first dig how deep he wanted it to be told 1m down and at least 300mm into the clay.  Happy days so across the site the depth is between 1200 - 1400 mm - the topsoil thins rapidly to the point we are all in clay.  That quick chat saved me £25k+.  I am not sure what Structural Engineers add to a project anymore - on this scheme we paid them £1,500 only to totally ignore their design and  on our last 2 projects they put in enough steel to support 88 balconies you could have built 2 oil rigs out of the stuff.  They are all clearly over engineering to avoid PI claims.

What about turning this around and get an SE in first who has an eye for the cost, the implications and what other design options you can open up. You could have a lot of fun here exploring cost effective ideas with the slope and so on.

Lot's of experienced Architect's spend a while finding SE's who can design economically for the domestic self build market. This enhances the Architect's chances of winning the job.. bringing in a project on budget etc thus building their own reputation. In doing so the SE also queitly builds their own as the go to person.

It' may cost you a few hundered quid but the SE will also help you define the Architect's brief so they can concentrate on the "Architecture" , it removes some of the uncertainty and this may reflect on the Architect's fee in a positive way. Eventually you'll need to pay an SE anyway so why not get them in early.

Make no mistake. The SE is responsible for the structure and that is why they will carry some £ 1 - 2  million PI insurance just for domestic jobs alone.

There are some SE's who take pride in the fact that they save you more than they charge..if you can do that as an SE you have earn't your crust.. Funnily enough that is one way of getting the repeat business if you are an SE.

Here is the @Thedreamer referance, and suggest getting the book.

20201016_050344.thumb.jpg.cf427c0f528aba1f1c58a958c41a9e20.jpg

We have a sloping garden plot which we got planning for, which is off the above chart.

We knew that the slope was always going to be the unknown, and a big cost without knowing the full extent of it.

However we have tried to minimise the area of the basement that is getting cut into the slope.

We probably won't know the cost to do the ground works until we are sat on the block and beam at 'ground level.

Though we are getting some ground investigation work done and a structural engineer to design the retaining walls (Looking at £5k for both these things)

Once these specs are know we are going get ground workers to quote on the work. Only then will we have an informed idea of cost.

My hope is that because my site is dense sand I will able to use a raft and solid retaining walls. If I have to use piles then I am a bit stuffed as they are expensive.

How steep is the slope and what are the ground conditions? E.g. clay is bad and you will need some expensive foundations.

Maybe the plot is still on the market is because it's not a financially feasible site for them?

Edited by Moonshine
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Kirsty said:

... We’re really just looking for any advice on where to start. ...

Start anywhere . No matter where. In depth research always leads, eventually,  to thinking about fundamental issues. Get those sorted out and expand from there. 

You say you don't know where to start.  None of us did,  (except those members who were already in the business).  But you already have. Your post shows that. It just looks daunting,  really bloody daunting at the stage where you are now. There is no doubt that self building is deeply challenging.  Broken into appropriate size bits it becomes more manageable. 

Waste a few hours reading this site. You'll soon be able to prioritise your own starting points. Its fun, mostly.

Just don't take  @Russell griffiths too seriously .

23 hours ago, Faz said:

Welcome aboard.  You are always going to have to take a bit of a view erring towards the worst case to be honest. 

The site we bought we purchased with the anticipation of piling - our SI was particularly favorable and we were able to do a deep strip.  Our engineers set the depth to 2.1m ( nightmare btw) but I asked BC on the first dig how deep he wanted it to be told 1m down and at least 300mm into the clay.  Happy days so across the site the depth is between 1200 - 1400 mm - the topsoil thins rapidly to the point we are all in clay.  That quick chat saved me £25k+.  I am not sure what Structural Engineers add to a project anymore - on this scheme we paid them £1,500 only to totally ignore their design and  on our last 2 projects they put in enough steel to support 88 balconies you could have built 2 oil rigs out of the stuff.  They are all clearly over engineering to avoid PI claims.

I think you get to find out if SE adds anything in a couple of decades ?.

1 hour ago, Kirsty said:

Thanks for your input everyone. We’ve ordered the house builders bible and are starting to make a list of things to think about. 

Not sure how old you are but you may need a big magnifying glass as well.

• Like 2