Help choosing windows

Jilly

Hi everyone!

I've read all the troubles others have had with the big double glazing companies and so I've had my patio doors and windows measured up by a local double glazing company whom my builder works with as he will measure, supply and fit so it seems to reduce the hassle. The windows don't seem quite as sexy as some I've seen, but not bad at overall.

There are some add ons I'd like to run past you: 

Having triple glazing isn't that much extra, so I'm thinking its worth having, but might the patio/French/sliding doors  be too thick and heavy for easy usability? 

On the south and west corner glass he's offered Suncool glass. I can see that it might help with summer overheating, but will it reduce solar gain too much for the rest of the year? I'm fairly convinced we will have very useful solar gain and would hate to lose that benefit.

Another possible extra is acoustic glass for the road side windows. He recommends this more that the more expensive triple glazing. 

Am dreaming of windows ATM...

OK so a recent one I have done used triple glazing but had the option of acoustic. In the end we went with triple all round and it has been perfect. Definitely reduced noise and there was a mainline railway 50m away. Triple also increases your uValue slightly but I expect they will be 4/12/4/12/4 units so not as efficient as units with 16 or 20mm spacers.

In terms of weight, the french doors (1600x2010) are absolutely fine and no issues with them.

Suncool from Pilkington is a product range not a single glass type - you need to know which he is suggesting as it does make a difference to the solar gain. However... unless you have more than 20% window to floor area then I wouldn't be concerned if it isn't a passive build.

And ... I've never seen a sexy window... maybe I need to search harder !

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Jilly said:

but might the patio/French/sliding doors  be too thick and heavy for easy usability? 

but will it [ suncool glass ] reduce solar gain too much for the rest of the year?

Our thick and heavy windows glide with the pressure from one finger (treble glazed) 

In relation to suncool glass, I dont think anyone will be able to help you because we have no data on which to base a response .

As for acoustic glass: if you are a meter from the A1 (say) then its a no-brainer. If you have to wonder about the value of acoustic glass, then maybe that's a hint .... not to need it.

• Thanks 1

So, for this main room, the windows are 9.4m2 of glass, and the floor space is 33.6m2, so that's 28%, so I'm guessing I'd be safer to use ordinary glass and then figure out some shading for the very hot times? Or even stick on stuff. I hate irreversible decisions, you see...

We are not passive, it's a block built conversion with exterior cladding.