Hello to all

Godley

Good morning everyone. We bought our house just before lockdown started which has obviously brought a few more challenges to our renovations than we were expecting.

We've managed to get a few things done that I guess most would think as the easier projects but there's still plenty to do so hopefully I'll get some good advice from the members on here as I move forward.

Thanks

28 minutes ago, LSB said:

Welcome to the forum, where are you based and what are your plans

I live in Godley, Hyde. We bought a 60's link detached that hasn't been touched since the early 80's at a guess so pretty much everything needs doing.

So far I've had the double glazing changed from aluminium frames to upvc which I got someone in to do and fitted a new kitchen with laminate flooring which I did.

I also reboarded the kitchen ceiling and am just waiting for a plasterer to give me a quote but as most of the ceilings want doing I'll probably wait until they're all ready.

I think the whole house will want a rewire but I got a electrictian friend to put a consumer unit in when we did the kitchen as the wiring wouldn't take the new hob and oven we bought so that's one room done.

The bathroom is next on the list for me so I'll be asking a few questions about tilling floors and walls ect  and hopefully anything else that I get stuck on.

Welcome to the forum.

Let me jump straight in. How good is the basic fabric of your house? The watchwords are "fabric first" and "attention to detail".

How well insulated / warm is it? That is always something to reflect on before cosmetics. If we discover that we need to renovate the structure, we are all reluctant to un-renovate the things we have done on top first ?.

Trying to think about this ... a guideline is that if you are on gas total heating bills should be not much more than £500 per year, though the biggest single saving is usually from switching the first time (normally saves up to 25-30% over standard rate).

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/blog/how-much-is-the-average-gas-and-electricity-bill-per-month

With normal renovations I do for rentals under say 900sqft I normally aim for as close as possible to £500-600 for total bills for both fuels on a gas heated house as I can. That needs all the usual renovation things to be done reasonably well, and I don't always make it.

Ferdinand

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

Welcome to the forum.

Let me jump straight in. How good is the basic fabric of your house? The watchwords are "fabric first" and "attention to detail".

How well insulated / warm is it? That is always something to reflect on before cosmetics. If we discover that we need to renovate the structure, we are all reluctant to un-renovate the things we have done on top first ?.

Trying to think about this ... a guideline is that if you are on gas total heating bills should be not much more than £500 per year, though the biggest single saving is usually from switching the first time (normally saves up to 25-30% over standard rate).

https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/blog/how-much-is-the-average-gas-and-electricity-bill-per-month

With normal renovations I do for rentals under say 900sqft I normally aim for as close as possible to £500-600 for total bills for both fuels on a gas heated house as I can. That needs all the usual renovation things to be done reasonably well, and I don't always make it.

Ferdinand

Hi, so the house is fully double glazed, has cavity wall insulation as well as loft insulation.

As we moved into the house in March of this year I won't know what sort of heating bills we'll be getting at the mo however my mrs works for British gas so we get a bit of a Brucie bonus with the bills.

Structure wise everything seems to be ok according to the survey and from what I've checked myself. The main issues are that it's very dated as the lady we bought it off bought it new in 68 and never really did anything to it apart from necessary repairs and fitting a new boiler about eight years ago.

Thanks for the link it makes interesting reading

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterStarck said:

Sounds like you've got plenty to keep you busy for a while so good luck with the project, oh and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome and your house looks stunning

• Thanks 1