Hello fellow Scottish builders

ProDave

There are a number of self builders on this forum from Scotland so let's introduce ourselves here.

I am part way through my own new build some 20 miles north of Inverness in the Highlands. It's a timber framed house with wood fibre external wall insulation and then render. Aimng for a good standard of insulation and air tightness and low running costs.

I'm a bit further north (3 hours and a ferry crossing over the Pentland Firth to be precise) in Orkney.  I've just started build work on an ICF house, built to withstand the brisk climate with the lowest possible running costs.

Edited by Stones

Just now, iSelfBuild said:

Building a lodge for my parents in Dumfries and Galloway and I also own the plot next door... which I plan to build something very similar to Crofter under portable building regulations :)

Welcome aboard!

I'm building a timber holiday hut in the Carbeth hutting community.

We're on the West Highland Way just north of Glasgow.

The hut is all but complete and now I realise my hut needs a shed.

Planning an L shaped footprint with a tool store one end and a bike shore at the other.

In the middle (the corner of the L) I'll have a covered area for chopping wood/ outdoor work.

Drawings to follow.

Just started building in Edinburgh.

Porotherm walls with PIR insulation. Concrete first and second floors. MVHR. Triple glazed.

Hoping for low running costs but also a very quiet house that feels very solid.

Plan to live there for the next 40 years. Hopefully I get those 40 years to enjoy it!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Hiya.  We have a plot not far from Inverness.  Looking to hopefully start building at the end of this year.  Planning a simple timber frame with wood fibre board and wooden cladding.  Aiming for 3 bedrooms, well insulated and airtight.  Working on our planning at the moment.

If anyone up this way (either Inverness or Glasgow) ever needs some help I'd be happy to do a day or two's free labouring in exchange for being able to take a look at what you're up to/discuss what you've learnt!

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Hi, we have a plot South Aberdeenshire that we have PP for a 3 bed build with integrated garage, TF build, due to our narrow access roads.

Had hoped to have started by now, but I fear we are being given the run around from the “local” tradesmen with their pricing and the length of time they take to get back to us!

We had hoped for a turnkey but looks more likely that I will PM and sub out the work. We aren’t local to the area so going on our architects recommendation, which isn’t proving very productive!!

Any help or advice regarding do’s & dont’s would be gladly appreciated ?

Do you have your TF ordered? A lot of TF companies have a waiting list, we waited 8 weeks for ours.are you getting the company to erect to wind and water tight? Tradesmen are notoriously bad at getting back to you, once we discovered we couldn’t afford a turnkey with the builders we originally looked at we thought we might employ the individual trades but after speaking to a few then sending over our plans we never heard back from ANY of them which led us to employing a smaller building firm to do a lot of the work on a labour only basis which enabled us to source all materials at best price and they were quite happy with this as it saved them the initial outlay, this went okay on the whole although eventually they lost interest and we had to get another joiner to finish, we were just interested in getting a firm to do the bulk of the work, block work, roofing, rendering etc to get it to a good stage and it didn’t matter too much that they eventually left before we were finished. We had previously self built and took it all in hand ourselves but it wasn’t easy getting the trades in and keeping them there and hubby and SIL learned a lot of new trades through having to!

I agree with @Christine Walker. Set your sights on getting the TF ordered and erected to watertight stage asap. If you haven't ordered the frame yet you had better get a crack on as although we're only in June by the time it gets delivered and erected the best of the weather wil be over (seems odd saying that today mind when it's tipping it down outside).

Have you done anything about services and foundations yet? 

• 1 year later...

I've only just came across this thread after being on here a year  

We have a 4 acre plot in East Ayrshire, just between kilmarnock and Glasgow.

4 bed house- planning a SIPS kit and insulated raft foundation. Rendered exterior with a Siberian larch clad annex. 

PP granted and just in for building warrant Hopefully get foundation done this year and possibly kit up, but may delay it until March for better weather. 

16 hours ago, SuperJohnG said:

I've only just came across this thread after being on here a year  

We have a 4 acre plot in East Ayrshire, just between kilmarnock and Glasgow.

4 bed house- planning a SIPS kit and insulated raft foundation. Rendered exterior with a Siberian larch clad annex. 

PP granted and just in for building warrant Hopefully get foundation done this year and possibly kit up, but may delay it until March for better weather. 

will need to come and see it when you get further on.

• Like 1