Door Knobs

I know many people aren't a fan of door knobs v handles but we tend to prefer them, I just hope they go with our modern look. I think

@Kev106 may have had the same ones we are looking at from Delamain Carlisle Brass so hopefully he can give an update on how he is finding them. When it says 'unsprung' what does this mean and is it likely to cause problems?

Don't knobs need to be at a different height to handles to work properly?  How does that fit with modern building regs that tells us the height of everything?

Sprung means there is literally a spring inside the mechanism so you are not just relying on the spring in the lock mechanism.  you can also buy handles with or without springs.

3 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Don't knobs need to be at a different height to handles to work properly?  How does that fit with modern building regs that tells us the height of everything?

I'll have to have a look at regs now. The only handles we like are almost triple the cost of the door knobs ?

So if these are unsprung knobs they are relying on the latch then?

iv never been pulled up by regs on the height of a handle,

We generally put them where they look right, or 1m down from the top of the door.

knobs will need a longer backset on the latch than a handle so you don't catch your knuckles on the door stop, especially if you need to have fire regs door stop.

we recently fitted some unsprung porcelain knobs which required howdens "heavy duty" latches to work even remotely properly.

they were hateful things where the knob didn't fit into the cup properly and even if they did no part of the whole setup was round so they ground when you turned them.

I highlighted this issue a fair few times but " just fit them and make it work".......guess what came up on the snags

(other heavy duty latches are available, we just happened to buy the original latches and hinges from howdens)

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, canalsiderenovation said:

I wasn't expecting it to appear that big!!

First time a girl's said that to me!

I predict imminent thread drift.

Edited by Onoff
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2