Cladding shrinkage and allowances

dnb

The Planners demand I use real timber cladding on my build. And also insist on it being horizontal, lapped somehow (shiplap, feather edge, t&g are all fine) and painted a defined colour. (Natural wood colour is not allowed) They will in no way entertain fibre cement at this time. I am not prepared to argue because I am very unlikely to get anywhere based on previous examples.

So I am now looking at wooden cladding and am getting concerned about shrinkage especially on the south side in summer. My preference is for the look of a shiplap or bevel type interlocking scheme and these don't seem to have much overlap.

One of my thoughts was to use a cheap tanalised redwood knowing that within 10 years I would replace it with fibre cement because it isn't Planning's problem then. But it needs to look right until then. The other thought would be to go for a more expensive wood and have it last until after I retire and have downsized in the 30 year time frame. Does anyone have any feeling for shrinkage rates and longevity of painted cladding?

I Cedar cladded a building that had been done 13 years ago when the site was put in mothballs 

It had never been treated or painted or maintained I was amazed at how good of condition it was in Especially since they hadn’t used a membrane 
The building was in a very exposed place in the lake district 

@Mr Punter

I did write a reply earlier in the day, but my phone ate it while I made coffee at work. The short version is that my site is in an ANOB and next door to an SSSI. Planning have enough plausible things (and a few less plausible things as well) to say that will tie up any discussion/appeal etc for a considerable time, and whether I ultimately win or loose, it hurts my timescales, budget and risk management on the build for a number of logistical reasons - quite a lot more than the cost of me putting up cheap cladding for a couple of years while I pursue the fibre cement I really want in slightly slower time. There's a some local politics too that I would rather not discuss on a public forum.