Architectural castings

PeterW

I’ve got a project on the go which will be to replicate a small section of a Victorian greenhouse but I’ve come up against a bit of an issue with some of the wall to roof junctions and in particular these sort of castings that provide the strength. (This is an example)

A4685D72-1994-4EDC-96B1-477F93DBD87D.jpeg.2d6c7a337a71498648bf54efcef0b8a1.jpeg 

Hunting round the salvage yards I’ve seen a few available but they are eye watering in price and also come at the wrong angle as the project is in line with an existing building. 

Anyone seen any online or other casting suppliers for this sort of low volume casting that isn’t going to set me back £300 a bracket as I only really need two. 

1 minute ago, Gav_P said:

Could you use an existing one to make a mold and cast it yourself? 

Considered making the pattern myself and getting it cast. The issue is I can’t cast anything other than Aluminium. 

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

I’ve got a project on the go which will be to replicate a small section of a Victorian greenhouse but I’ve come up against a bit of an issue with some of the wall to roof junctions and in particular these sort of castings that provide the strength. (This is an example)

A4685D72-1994-4EDC-96B1-477F93DBD87D.jpeg.2d6c7a337a71498648bf54efcef0b8a1.jpeg 

Hunting round the salvage yards I’ve seen a few available but they are eye watering in price and also come at the wrong angle as the project is in line with an existing building. 

Anyone seen any online or other casting suppliers for this sort of low volume casting that isn’t going to set me back £300 a bracket as I only really need two. 

Not as nice looking obviously, but what about get them laser cut from say 15mm steel - you could hand bevel the openings etc. and "dress them up" after a coat of paint and incorporated into the other components they would probably look fine.

Just an option.

Casting is not going to be cheap, £300 a pop is in my mind quite good. I've had dealings with this for architectural steelwork and by the time they make the sand moulds etc. it's not a quick task. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Hadn’t considered laser or water jetting. Could also get them made in layers and welded up. 

Yes - if you layered them you could create detail, outer leaves with cut outs or something - have locating holes cut and then pin them together with steel rod and weld up. 

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

Can these be 3D printed in metal?

Or is the state of the art not there structurally or economically yet?

The closest I’ve seen is having the bracket 3D printed and used as a casting template. Due to size - they are 250mm on each leg - then the 3D has to be a pretty big unit. 

I’ve got some adjustable aluminum ones I’ve seen but waiting to see if I can get them TIG welded to become a single unit as they don’t seem to be able to lock at any angle. 

4 hours ago, PeterW said:

Hadn’t considered laser or water jetting. Could also get them made in layers and welded up. 

Try Control Waterjet in Chesterfield. I've used them.

5-axis jetting is the kiddie. 

Just split your 3D model into pieces and print in bits. Then glue together with mitre bond. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, PeterW said:

The closest I’ve seen is having the bracket 3D printed and used as a casting template. Due to size - they are 250mm on each leg - then the 3D has to be a pretty big unit. 

I’ve got some adjustable aluminum ones I’ve seen but waiting to see if I can get them TIG welded to become a single unit as they don’t seem to be able to lock at any angle. 

Is it interesting enough to be a test project for a lab that they can use to demonstrate an application?

12 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Is it interesting enough to be a test project for a lab that they can use to demonstrate an application?

Not really. People 3D print in solid PVA now, akin to lost wax casting. You just immerse in water and the PVA dissolves. Similarly with dual (or more) head printers they'll print the temporary supports in PVA and the actual part in another plastic. Once printed, again immerse in water and the supports wash away. 

Water jet cutting is great! A mate introduced me to it when he was having 8" thick stainless steel plate cut.

Love this one: