Ugly House to Lovely House New Series

Ferdinand

2 hours ago, AliG said:

I don't understand why they didn't move the entrance to ground level

I suspect moving the entrance and not building the grand porch would not let them balance the front of a three-storey house. 

Apart from a typical Grand Design budget mismatch I am not a fan of the back-sloping roof: a recipe for future problems. But I think they are perfectly capable of paying for a regular cleaning.

Also curious how they get shopping in the kitchen. 

I have some friends where you go up 12 steps to the front door.  The steps are about a metre wide and have a landing half way with handrail either side, so you don't really notice.

Having the wide flight on this project did it no favours.

That programme showed to me the wisdom of not using an architect for that type of project. Given a budget he comes up with a scheme that cost nearly twice as much and then says if you haven't got the money just do a bit of it. Nonsense.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

That programme showed to me the wisdom of not using an architect for that type of project. Given a budget he comes up with a scheme that cost nearly twice as much and then says if you haven't got the money just do a bit of it. Nonsense.

It was my initial reaction. But then I thought we only get to see a part of the picture. It may well be that the architect realised (or was told) that the clients were able to spend more money and showed them the light. And taking into account they really wanted to improve the look of the house that was not necessarily a wrong idea. Not many can afford it but good for those who can. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, oldkettle said:

It was my initial reaction. But then I thought we only get to see a part of the picture. It may well be that the architect realised (or was told) that the clients were able to spend more money and showed them the light. And taking into account they really wanted to improve the look of the house that was not necessarily a wrong idea. Not many can afford it but good for those who can. 

Quite possibly that is the case, as you say, you don't necessarily get to see the whole picture. It's not how I would do  it though, I set a budget and stick to it.

I think architects in general have only a vague idea of how much things will cost. They will aim high and then you have to come back and say can we do something cheaper.

16 hours ago, oldkettle said:

suspect moving the entrance and not building the grand porch would not let them balance the front of a three-storey house. 

I was considering whether a similar large overhang would have still worked at the ground floor level. We'll never know. It was the massive wide steps that seemed out of proportion to me, the architect did say that was the idea.

As well as having to walk up to the front door, you also have to walk back down to the kitchen once you are inside.

Maybe they actually come in through the garage. In our house the front door is basically for visitors and parcels, we usually leave via the garage.

My mum has always said imagine having a baby and having to get up and down to the front door with a pushchair. TBF we never used one, I thoroughly recommend a baby carrier instead.

Edited by AliG

• 4 weeks later...

Saw the one last night, which was a repeat, and once again the architects upset the client with a scheme that came in at more than twice the budget. Even the final plans ended up 20k to 30k more than the budget. Mind you the quality of the original 80s build was so poor there were lots of repairs to be done. Judging by the '40mm Gap' thread on here things haven't improved much since then.

https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/topic/15911-40mm-gap-between-blockwork/?tab=comments#comment-260018

41 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

Saw the one last night, which was a repeat, and once again the architects upset the client with a scheme that came in at more than twice the budget. Even the final plans ended up 20k to 30k more than the budget. Mind you the quality of the original 80s build was so poor there were lots of repairs to be done.

I know where that is and used to drive past it - it’s got to be one of the most hideous buildings ever built ..! Looks so much better now but tbh that “quality” of construction was pretty standard and I’m less than surprised that they had issues. Overall result was nice and I think possibly better than the first scheme - although anyone who expected the initial one to come in at £80k was probably dreaming ... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterStarck said:

Saw the one last night, which was a repeat, and once again the architects upset the client with a scheme that came in at more than twice the budget. Even the final plans ended up 20k to 30k more than the budget. Mind you the quality of the original 80s build was so poor there were lots of repairs to be done. Judging by the '40mm Gap' thread on here things haven't improved much since then.

https://forum.buildhub.org.uk/topic/15911-40mm-gap-between-blockwork/?tab=comments#comment-260018

I was disappointed that it was a repeat, but I thought that the work done on that home in The Park, Nottingham, was one of the best. It's literally 8 minutes walk from the Market Square, on a private estate. She will have more than got her money back. Just across from the tennis club, I think, and The Park Residents Association seem to have kept Streetview out afaics.

I lived around the corner from there for a few months.

I think it on this stretch.

(There's a building plot in the middle of that, but I suspect you would need to prize it from someone's cold, dead fingers after you had topped them, and have something on some Councillors to get PP.)

(Just in case anyone has ideas, those mansions facing the other way are 7 figures if still in one dwellng.)

• Like 1