traditional vs liquid screed

Moonshine

For ground floor i am doing a block and beam floor, 150mm PIR insulation, and UFH within the screed.

I have initial drawn in 75mm screed, however i have been reading that i could reduce this down to 50mm with liquid screed.

Reading up on liquid screed it may cost a little extra than tradition with labour being cheaper, but as as my ground floor is actually at first floor level from the front, this may be a big plus as the liquid screed can be pumped up easily.

What are peoples views on traditional vs liquid screed?

1 minute ago, Moonshine said:

For ground floor i am doing a block and beam floor, 150mm PIR insulation, and UFH within the screed.

I have initial drawn in 75mm screed, however i have been reading that i could reduce this down to 50mm with liquid screed.

Reading up on liquid screed it may cost a little extra than tradition with labour being cheaper, but as as my ground floor is actually at first floor level from the front, this may be a big plus as the liquid screed can be pumped up easily.

What are peoples views on traditional vs liquid screed?

Anhydrite has a residual laitance which needs to be removed over the entire area if bonding ANYTHING to it. 
Bedtime reading.

Dry screed or possibly liquid concrete with small aggregate for me. 
Are you on gas or ASHP

• Like 1

I decided to go traditional 80mm thick, I have seen three liquid screeds in the last year and I wasn’t overly impressed with any of them, mine would have been £2000 dearer to use a flow screed. 

The price increase is because it saves you time. 

I wanted weight to pin the insulation down with no bounce. 

Very impressed with mine. 

37 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

I decided to go traditional 80mm thick, I have seen three liquid screeds in the last year and I wasn’t overly impressed with any of them, mine would have been £2000 dearer to use a flow screed. 

The price increase is because it saves you time. 

I wanted weight to pin the insulation down with no bounce. 

Very impressed with mine. 

I laid a traditional in ours 

Drying out wasn’t an issue as I laid it a soon as we were watertight 

The prep work for liquid needs to be spot on 

I’ve seen a few go wrong 

Might a low-water 'traditional' screed such as Tarmac Truscreed be an option? We had it in our extension as it has a relatively short drying time (7 days per 25mm) and can also be laid a bit thinner than normal at around 50mm and less depending on situation.

Edited by MJNewton

interestingly i was on site today and was having a look at builds going up, and particularly that they had some detached house plots with beam and block which were already screeded with concrete without any external walls or roof. Speaking to the site manager this is how they do it even with UFH in the screed.

1647437987_20201014_130356(Large).thumb.jpg.bad74f178f1b8b239d65da957ba0b1e9.jpg2001040761_20201014_130401(Large).thumb.jpg.8f98628614959948086a909814ddeee3.jpg

I presume with the concrete screed exposed to the elements isn't too much of an issue.

23 hours ago, Moonshine said:

2001040761_20201014_130401(Large).thumb.jpg.8f98628614959948086a909814ddeee3.jpg

Just looking back at this photo I have just realised that the is no thermal insulation upstand, so there is going to be some nice thermal bridging.

I have been in contact with a local liquid screender who have quoted £1515 + VAT for 80m2 of 65mm depth. 

That is £19 per m2 which doesn't seem that bad.

3 hours ago, Moonshine said:

Just looking back at this photo I have just realised that the is no thermal insulation upstand, so there is going to be some nice thermal bridging.

They'll have likely gone over the top of the upstand slightly thus obscuring it. I think you can see some of it exposed around the pipe in the other picture.

• Like 1

On 15/10/2020 at 14:02, Moonshine said:

I have been in contact with a local liquid screender who have quoted £1515 + VAT for 80m2 of 65mm depth. 

That is £19 per m2 which doesn't seem that bad.

I got an updated quote for 50mm which is £15 per m2, which seems pretty decent

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

That’s very cheap, check who’s it is, avoid the gypsum stuff. 

There website seem to offer two brands of screed (belitex and cemfloor), interestingly the quote doesn't have details of what product its for, or a grade (e.g. C20 / C25).

The cheapness may be a factor that the plot is about a mile from their office! I can DM you the company to give me you opinion.

16 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

umm, are you sure about that, our screed is a hemihydrate gypsum, and has no laitence...

Prob best to clarify that in your response given the minefield of options here. :P

Yes, have reviewed and discussed that with screed suppliers for two current projects, and as long as the subsequent layers above it are compatible then there is no mechanical abrasion to deal with. Priming, and the application of cementitious products only thereafter, as it’s just a modified anhydrite, seem to suffice. 
15-all. 

16 hours ago, Moonshine said:

I got an updated quote for 50mm which is £15 per m2, which seems pretty decent

That equates to £300 per cubic metre... which means that from materials perspective I would go with self compacting concrete laid as early as possible as even if it is around £150/CuM as @Oz07 says it can be laid relatively quickly so I expect with labour you are talking much less.